M5610 - why such small display and buttons?

keiron99

I have just taken delivery of a a new G Shock (my first!). It's a M5610 positive module in the bodywork of the BC model.

Many thanks to Keith at Tiktox for fantastic service.

But 2 things strike me.

Firstly - and this is not helped by my middle aged eyes for which I need low powered readers these days - Why did they make the characters so small? Even with my glasses on, I cannot read the small icons on the display. I cannot read any of the graphics on the crystal itself.

Second, and another issue of size - despite me having tiny wrists and fingers, the buttons are unbelievably small. I have to use my finger nails. And to press the ones on the left side of the watch, I have to take the watch off!

Obviously there aren't any solutions to these issues, it's just the way the watch is / the way I am, but one would have thought that after so many decades of building a watch based on this design they would have addressed these things?

Or is it just me?!

bluerotkev

You could maybe print this off full colour A4 for reference, cocktail stick for control!!

I promise you I've used big pics for my young but knackered eyes!!

BigWatch.jpg

keiron99

Seriously - that's very useful!
I'm trying to read the instruction manual. Even that is in miniature! Boy, do I feel old!

Just about the only thing I cannot figure is the "sig" indicator in the bottom left cluster. What does that signify?

I am trying to get used to the various functions of buttons A, B, C and D. Is there a sort of rule of thumb? They appear to be a little inconsistent in what they do.

A couple of other comments on my first few hours of ownership: This is a really nicely made bit of kit. The fit and finish seem exemplary. The combination steel.resin bracelet is REALL nice.

I was worried this watch would look stupid big on my 17cm wrist, but it really doesn't. Chunky and purposeful, but not show off blingy big at all.

Also, I often have a problem with watches spinning around my wrist. For some reason, it doesn't with this one.

All in all, a very nice bit of kit.

bluerotkev

I wouldn't worry about the skinny wrist issue, for some weird reason and ingenious design no matter how chunky the watch it looks good on everyone?!?! As for the manual, I can email you the pdf so you can zoom in and out on the necessary bit

What module is it?

keiron99

Thanks, that's great. I have been entertaining my young daughter with the auto EL feature. I do like that.

I may have poor eyes, but I have good ears, and have been burdened with the problem of light sleeping all my life. Consequently, the alarm is plenty loud enough for me despite me reading that many owners feel it is a bit too quiet.

One other question if I may: just how resilient is the bezel, buckle etc? Does it scratch easily?

bluerotkev

Now theres a question I'd direct to the more established members!! I have only just purchased a resin bezel baby, took it out on a roofing job to test its durability and all seems well!! I've always been a stainless guy so this will be my tester until I can scratch enough to get another addition!!

keiron99

Is there any way of switching the date format to show it as day / month rather than the default American way?