Cleaning your watch

nickyc

Hi everyone, Im going to put a curveball up. I'm a car detailer and using washing up liquid on your car is the biggest sin as it has too much whatever in it that strips your paint finish . So Im presuming it will do the same if you use it to clean your G ? So what do you all use then to clean your watches ? Im thinking of my DGK and want to prevent it yellowing, what would I use thats safe to clean it after Ive worn it to stop it from going yellow ?

rutteger

Administrator
Interesting, where have you seen recommended washing up liquid? It is pretty astringent and I'd also think it be bad to use on a watch.

Normally use normal hand soap and rinse thoroughly. Suspect there may be something better out there (perhaps from the world of car detailing) but always slightly reluctant to try unknown chemicals on something which sits next to your skin. That said did use some 'back to black' type stuff on some slightly discolured black resin with success.

As an aside how do you stop black paint looking poor, won't be getting another black car :p

Sir Spamalot

Hi everyone, Im going to put a curveball up. I'm a car detailer and using washing up liquid on your car is the biggest sin as it has too much whatever in it that strips your paint finish . So Im presuming it will do the same if you use it to clean your G ? So what do you all use then to clean your watches ? Im thinking of my DGK and want to prevent it yellowing, what would I use thats safe to clean it after Ive worn it to stop it from going yellow ?

Its mainly the salt content that kills the paint finish, and the way i clean my g shocks is by using anti bacterial hand wash gel on a toothbrush, then rinse with water and dry with a fresh microfiber

nickyc

Yep have used lots of car detailing stuff to clean them, including some of my expensie waxes lol. Found that most of the car shampoo's are quite good. But not tried hand wash yet.

bluerotkev

Strange . . . I've just posted about using IPA and Maguires Stage 1 body polish!! NickyC will know Maguires very well I think!

I've used the stage one stuff on my stainless ones for years and they've never tarnished!

nickyc

Would be good on metal but wouldnt use that on any resin though lol. You wax your stainless ones too ?

Gary7

It doesn't matter what you use to clean the metal and glass parts of your G-Shock (assuming garden variety soaps). As for the resin, I've heard good things about Meguiar's vinyl cleaner & restorer being used on G-Shocks. The trick with translucent bands/bezels (jellies), is limiting sun exposure. The UV rays will be the primary cause for yellowing.