Don't make assumptions!

keewiz

Got a new GW3000BB-1a two days ago and made some stupid assumptions that you might find amusing.
I already own a G shock with atomic timekeeping so I assumed that my new watch wouldn't be a problem to operate.
Right out of the box, the 3000BB-1A was set to the right time, day and correct DST setting. I assumed that the online dealer (through Amazon) had kindly setup the watch for me.
Next day, I compared the second hand to my other G shock and noticed that the 3000 was running 12 seconds behind. I assumed that the new watch hadn't received a signal yet. On checking this out, (pushing the A button) my suspicions were confirmed. The watch had not received the last signal.
I assumed that since the watch hadn't been in a good position at night (it was on my bedside table) I should set it right next to my weather station which displays a strong (5 bars) atomic clock reception.
Next morning, I checked and, nope. Still no reception.
Checking the manual, I was referred to the section concerning setting the home city. I'd assumed that the home city was set correctly, otherwise the time would be off, right?
I followed the instructions and to my surprise, the home city was not set to LAX (my closest choice). I moved the appropriate button until it pointed at LAX and watched the hands go round. They stopped at a time four hours ahead of local time. Hmmm. Wait a minute, I forgot DST! Correction, the watch now showed five hours ahead of the correct time.
I'm sure that anyone reading this has already got this figured out. My second assumption was the one that screwed me up. The dealer had set the watch to the correct time, day etc, but he (or she) had done it manually. Hence the twenty second discrepancy, inability to receive a signal and so on.
Once I realized what had happened, I put the watch back by the weather station and, sure enough, it reset to the correct time.
Don't assume because it makes an ass out of u & me!