Let's talk squares!

LUW

I know that squares are basically an "acquired taste", but it looks like lately they have been getting more popular specially among collectors. I truly like them, and this year I was hit by the square fever:

GW5000_04.jpg

My classic squares​

I was wondering how you guys here feel about squares
think.gif
?

rumpleforeskin

squares are my latest thing. but it can't be a standard looking one for me. unusual display or collab w/ matte black/bezel band is what i'm looking for.

LUW

In the beginning of the year, I got into a serious square phase. I had my faithful DW-5600 from 1987 but it was out of my daily wear rotation because of it's personal importance, so I thought it weird for a G-Shock "collector" to not wear any squares
hmm-1.gif
. So one thing let to the other and now I (almost) have enough squares to wear once a week at least. And though they are on the smallish size compared to current Gs, they are soooo comfortable on the wrist that they have become my go-to model when I want to relax at home.

chrisek

I have also been bit this year. My main concern is "will I wear it instead of. . . . .?"

You can see I'm struggling. I enjoy the squares quite a bit actually, and really don't want to go triple digits in my collection. Fortunately I am doing a good job of overall reducing the #'s.

I genuinely enjoy the beauty of: if it'll get hit less often then it needs less armor which also contributes to less bulk.

Personally, one of the few features I use regularly besides actual time is world time. I'm bummed with how many of the limited are " DW's". While I see the value/presence of the screwback, not having world time makes me "think" or memorize so much more during the day vs just flipping screens on my watch.

I just purchased my first gwm56xx yesterday and am looking forward to it. I just hope it stands up next to a couple of other squares already in my possession that I genuinely enjoy. And one of those is officially my favorite watch. Nothing big then, no expectations . . . .

marcoszam

Hello 2 all!

Indeed Luciano, squares are an acquired taste.

Nevertheless, I have 2 say that for me was quite fast and smooth getting 2 enjoy the square taste of 5600s.

With 56s (Kings) it is a different history. I love them in pictures, I love them before my eyes on the store, I love them on my Brother's wrist (his B&R King used 2 B mine), but on my wrist all the love is gone. Honestly it does make me a bit mad, but so far there's nothing I can't do, they just won't click with my wrist :(

Cheers,
Marcos :D

LUW

Interesting. For people who did not "grow up" with the original squares I think you have first like G-Shocks in general and then you may develop a taste for squares. It's funny, because in my mind a G-Shock is a square that lately got it`s corners rounded
giggle-1.gif