Why I h-a-t-e negative displays

LUW

Don't get me wrong, they look trés cool, but come on...

GT003_03.jpg

banging.gif

LUW

For me it is. I'm an airhead, and I have to put the date on dozens of prescriptions every day, and eventually I have to remind myself what day is today (specially in the morning or right after lunch
brainfart.gif
).

But that photo is just an example; I wanted to show how you can easily read the time but not the date, or in other words, how it's hard to use a negative display. And that right there defeats the whole G-Shock idea: a tough-as-nails watch that you can wear carefree. With a negative display it just doesn't work for me, because I have tilt the display around to read the LCD. A positive display I can read at a glance at any angle, so negative displays are not right for a G-Shock in my book.
Just like leather straps, BTW.

rumpleforeskin

For me it is. I'm an airhead, and I have to put the date on dozens of prescriptions every day, and eventually I have to remind myself what day is today (specially in the morning or right after lunch
brainfart.gif
).

But that photo is just an example; I wanted to show how you can easily read the time but not the date, or in other words, how it's hard to use a negative display. And that right there defeats the whole G-Shock idea: a tough-as-nails watch that you can wear carefree. With a negative display it just doesn't work for me, because I have tilt the display around to read the LCD. A positive display I can read at a glance at any angle, so negative displays are not right for a G-Shock in my book.

i agree. they're hard as hell to see. but i haven't gotten to the hate level "and must see clearly all the time" yet....truth be told, i have three g-shocks..and two of them have it....lol.

i don't think a neg display defeats any of g-shocks cause..it's not a fashion thing,..it's stealth thing..it's a military type thing. it's not shiny or brash.

it doesn't bother me nearly as seeing all those bright colored shiny plastic models that i have such a disdain for wearing. but give me time.

chrisek

Completely understand LUW's point. I usually prefer negative displays on the modern G's except when done poorly (Initial Blues, etc), especially now that the GD350 can show how well it can be done (though still not for everyone).

Having taken a tour in older G's (there were no neg displays) makes me appreciate the positive display more. The G8000 (very recent to me) completely changes my view on what a clear display could be that still has interesting info. Love it!

uploadfromtaptalk1378927516259.jpg

And is another watch I prefer in positive display. All good and enjoy the variety. :beer:

LUW

..it's not a fashion thing,..it's stealth thing..it's a military type thing. it's not shiny or brash.
I would have to disagree there: no good military instrument can be difficult to use in any situation, specially in it's intended use - in this case to tell the wearer what time it is. Negative displays are only around because of fashion, there's absolutely no practical reasons or situation where a negative display offers superior legibility. Some are terrible, some are less bad, but no negative display offers better performance then a positive one. That said, I concur that they do look cool, the so called "tacticool" look.

The G8000 (very recent to me) completely changes my view on what a clear display could be that still has interesting info. Love it!
Man I want that model
notworthy.gif
! It has become a grail for me.

LUW

Honestly, I tried to like 'em, specially because Casio seems to love them (
shutup.gif
), but they're just not practical.
And that goes against what a G-Shock represents to me.

Ninja

TBH it seems that the negative displays are usually used for limited editions. For most fashion watch fanboys, they love the negative displays bc of the cool look.

Honestly, I tried to like 'em, specially because Casio seems to love them (
shutup.gif
), but they're just not practical.
And that goes against what a G-Shock represents to me.

surf4peace

brainfart.gif
).

Agreed. Just bought the Lime Green G-Lide to take place of my previous model G-Lide. The negative display makes it difficult to see from many angles. I hope Casio figures this out. It's much nicer to be able to tell time quickly instead of having to tweak the wrist until I can see it...