Help needed ,Heart Breaking Condition wademan... & others

johnwong

Hi guys, my name is john
I started this thread becoz I need all the seniors here for help,advice,suggestion. all r welcome
I have brought a few g-shock yrs back.. and most of them I put in a watch box just to display it, eldom wear it.
however recently when i move house i realize some of them have a thin layer of oil on it.. and when i bring to wash it.. it start to fell apart...
is so heart breaking when see this happen..i ask around my friend n they told me i should have kept it in a air tight box..which i did't
and when i bring to casio Singapore service center.. they told me all these models have no parts to replace.. then i started to serch online...
but still .. cant find any..
i hope seniors here can give me advice on where to get parts , or sell it
whatever suggestion is good.. i just cant bear to see them rot one coner...
or if anyone need the arts here can also let me know atlease it can give new life to another watch for collectors..

i personally like wademan a lot therefore i brought a few of them..

johnwong

null_zpsa033a890.jpg

LUW

Sorry to hear that, but unfortunately, it's something common and predictable. It's called "resin rot", where the resin slowly decays with the years, to the point that it starts crumbling ("rotting"). There isn't much you can do to avoid this, some say that keeping the watches in a vacuum container would avoid this, but I never heard of or saw anyone actually doing this to prove it works. Many factors accelerate the process (it's a natural process that all sorts of PU resin go through), specially UV radiation, humidity and certain chemical substances.

The only fix is to get new resin, bezel and straps, that unfortunately would be almost impossible in the case of your watches because they have been out of production for a long time, so Casio doesn't produce spare parts for them any more. Very seldomly parts for these watches appear up for grabs on eBay, but they usually go for outrageous money. In the state that your watches are now they won't be worth much, so I don't think it's worth the hassle to even try to sell them.

Sorry
icon_sad.gif

rutteger

Administrator
Awesome collection man!

What LUW says really. Resin rot is pretty common, seems to effect some models more than others. Have read it is more likely to occur in areas with relatively higher humidity (such as Singapore I guess) but not sure either way. Might be a good idea to try and store them somewhere air tight I guess.

Glad you have sourced something for spares, look forward to seeing them fixed up :D