G-2310-1 Backlight problem - please help!

aac11

I am a first-time G-Shock owner/user. I just received a used G-Shock G-2310 which I bought online. It is functioning perfectly except for the backlight. When I press the backlight button, the display blanks out for a couple of seconds then comes back. The entire display (EL - electroluminescent) which is supposed to "glow" didn't. The power is at the highest Level 1 and all functions are enabled. I am not experiencing rapid loss of power. I even tried leaving the watch for 4 hours on the window pane (indirect morning sunlight) to no avail. Please help. Thank you.

LUW

First thing I would check is the battery - looks like it's going (even though it displays H on the screen). If so, replace it with a new one and the EL will work like it's supposed to.

aac11

First thing I would check is the battery - looks like it's going (even though it displays H on the screen). If so, replace it with a new one and the EL will work like it's supposed to.

Thank you for the advice. I will keep you posted.

LUW

Ok, let us know how it goes.
Old solar batteries sometimes do that; the display shows that they're fully charged (and they are!), but they can't keep the charge. Since the EL is the biggest power hog of the whole module it drains enough juice to make the the display/module starve momentarily.