MAGNETO can go to hell! I will always know what time it is because I have......

gripmaster

....the GAUSSMAN!!!!!!!

DSC_6961-2-640.jpg

DSC_6965-2-640.jpg

DSC_6982-2-640.jpg

DSC_6975-2-640.jpg

It really isn't the setting to take pictures in - as this GAUSSMAN is ready to affront the evil powers of magnetism!
But it arrived in the minute I was leaving the house to run up 1000 vertical meters into the sunset, and so it just HAD to
come along... This is a VERY strange watch - and I am happy I jumped on the occasion....

Deepsea_Dweller

Oh wow here you're GM. Missed it as I'm zickzacking through all the posts and different places :) How beautiful it is. Well done. Outstanding photos. Thanks for this fabulous thread and your great effort. Big like and big thank you! Now lets google the Gaussman;-) Best Tom

gripmaster

Grip, would you mind a small review of the Gaussman….i don't have this model, i would like to know what features you like about it

sure thing... let me collect my thoughts about it and I'll have that for you in the next days. theres somthing mysterious about the Gaussman, for sure!
thanks for your interest!
Gaussmaster.

gripmaster

Awesome! I wonder why Casio abandoned the anti-magnetic concept.

it's quite mysterious... I am no physicist, but have been wondering - if the Gaussman is actually protected agains magnetic influence, to me that means there is some kind of "shell" around the "thinking" part of the watch. looking at it, I was thinking that that would really have to be in the core of the Gaussman, since the glass certainly will not provide this service.
I didnt find a lot of literature on this model when I was considering if I should get it, the best was Sjors review of it, he also has a yellow model... the idea of naming the watch after a physicist / a physical unit is totally brilliant to me and was also the reason I got it. will give some more comments on it later on, and it also needs to be photographed in a worthy environment, I think...

rutteger

Administrator
Indeed be interesting to know exactly what makes it anti-magnetic. Also be interesting to know in exactly what sitauations this would be of real use...

gripmaster

interesting you should mention that... when I was running up the mountain, I of course hat to explain the whole Gaussman story to the young chap who ran with me, as this was quite an unusal watch for me to wear on such an occasion... he asked the same question.
I came up with: people who actually work in a factory that makes magnets. but also I can see that physicists, engineers, machine building people, possibly TV repairmen.... might actually benefit from a watch that does not mind being subjected to magnetic fields... then of course you have your astronauts, ISS crewmembers,...

Indeed be interesting to know exactly what makes it anti-magnetic. Also be interesting to know in exactly what sitauations this would be of real use...

LUW

A Faraday cage - that's what makes anything "magnetic proof". The efficiency of the cage will depend on the kind of materials and thickness of how it's made, but it has to be made of metal. So in theory, any steel-cased G would be magnetic proof, so unless the Gaussman has some sort of special lining over/around the case, it's as magnetic proof as a DW-5600. And that's what makes me think that Casio abandoned the idea because it in reality wasn't any better then a regular steel case model.
A shame I don't have one, because I always wanted to open one up and see what's special about it.