2013 - or: One Year in the grip of the big G...

gripmaster

OK, so here's my personal best-of - that means the ones I actually have acquired during the year that is ending. It is also my first year in the G-Shock madness.:very_drunk:

I do have to start with my very first Frogman who (yes, to me he's like a person) was also my very first G-Shock in 1998 I think.
I still have it, and for sure, this one I will not let go:

1-FrogmanTitanium.jpg
View attachment 1319775

This one needed a new battery last december, after many years (!) in a drawer. When I got it changed in a shop, something happened and from then on, I have started collecting. :confused::confused::confused:
I then learned in this forum that there was a 30 years special collection, and found and ordered the Rising Red Mudman. At the time, that was a sacred watch for me and also seemed quite expensive. Then I developped an irresistible need for a red Frogman. There weren't any in my country and I had to get it from California, and even that wasn't easy, as there weren't so many around. The Rising Red Frog has been my favorite for a long time...:cool:

2-DSCF0512_2-640-Kopie.jpgView attachment 1319776

You can't always wear a red watch, I needed something more stylish or let's say discrete for a lack of better words... I had never heard of Eric Haze, but his watch
was totally to my taste. Super-excited when I got this one, I rememeber!:)

3-EricHaze4-1000.jpg
View attachment 1319777

There has been many others during the year, but we're talking milestones here, so I must then mention my Aviators, which I got at some months' interval.
I am still amazed by the build and sheer massiveness of these watches. Really - I am glad I got them.:welcoming:

4-GRIP7660-2-640-Kopie.jpgView attachment 1319778

When I saw the awesome colors of these two, I was sold on them. Found the green one in Spain, and stumbled upon the purple Mudman in Tokio in a really lousy department store. Could hardly keep from jumping to the ceiling, and had to rescue it of course... This whole series is brilliant and I am a big fan!:eek:

View attachment 1319779
5-2mud.jpg

For half a year I had tried to get a hold of a military Mudman but here in Germany they were impossible to find or ridiculously expensive. Then - I walked into a G-Shock Store in Japan this summer. very disappointing selection, except this one! Jubilation, credit card massacre. Oddly enough, I am not wearing it a lot. I do not really have clothes in colors that go with this one.. still.. nice! :encouragement:
View attachment 1319780

6-Foto Kopie 2.jpg

Another Tokio pickup. I can never resist a Frogman, probably due to my heritage (see above), and yellow... come on! Little did I know that in the winter there would be a lightning yellow explosion!:eek:

7-Foto.JPGView attachment 1319781

Again, loads of smaller items and I like all or most of them, but for me as an outdoor person, the Rangeman actually was a G-Shock that made sense to use! So - I went for the olive, because the black didnt appeal to me on the pictures...
Then - disappointment! It does look great, but hell that thing is not easy to read. when running on mountain trails, this is pretty much useless. :culpability:

8-Foto Kopie.JPGView attachment 1319782

So I went - and checked out the black positive one in a store. It looked so great, I bought it on the spot, and have been putting it to actual outdoor use ever since.:encouragement::encouragement::encouragement:

9-Foto4-Kopie.jpgView attachment 1319783

When the Lightning Yellow Rangeman appeared in the forum, I knew I had no choice. My first order from Japan, my first time actually having to pick up a package at customs... but what a watch... probably in my top 3 actually! This one as well is not having an easy life... it is not a collector's item, I take into wilderness runs whenver I need a change from the black one. :welcoming:

10-DSC_6425-2-640-Kopie.jpgView attachment 1319784

For the end of the year, I managed to acquire a very special Frogman, to me anyways.. I had never seen it live, but on pictures, this one had always fascinated me. though it did not show up in the forum a lot. It seems fit that more or less exactly one year after a Frogman initialized my collection, this awesome Frogman should join it. :very_drunk::welcoming:

11-FN9G9196-2-640 Kopie.jpgView attachment 1319785

There's still 10 days left before 2013 is actually over, I have 3 more objects on the way, two of which are very high on my obsession scale, and one is going to amuse me a lot... I know one will make it before x-mas, the others... there's some suspense, everytime customs is involved.. but they are all on german territory by now...:encouragement:

I have two monumental objects planned already for the beginning of 2014, and it's scary because it seems like the addiction is not at all getting weaker! :rolleyes:

but it has been a blast collecting, sharing and exchanging here in the forum with others who share the same passion, all around the world. some of you have inspired me, been helpful with advice, or simply given enthousiastic feedback. Thanks for that!:encouragement:
The photography of my G-Shocks has also been a lot of fun. I will continue on this path and have come up with a way to collect and present my images for the future.

That's old fox, as a friend of mine used to say...

Thanks for reading, and have a great weekend!

Deepsea_Dweller

Wonderful post GM. Very impressive collection! As I said it in the other thread, its a combination of your superb photographic skils and your great selection of G's what makes your presentations and topics always very special and stands out :) You gotta be open minded and adventurous by achieving this! Well done. Great having you around GM :)

marcoszam

@gripmaster dear and good Mate 4 me it has being a pleasure 2 have you as a friend and as a crazy-about-Gs-Mate.

I reckon I have to thank you 4 all the eye balsam you gave us throughout the time and please keep it coming. You have a superb taste in Gs and a great eye 4 photography 2.

And thanks 4 the support which along with Tom's was the key factor 2 keep the enthusiasm.

All the best always... Cheers!
Marcos :D

Ben_R

Wow! You have some awesome watches. My addiction has also really kicked into high gear this year. I guess with so many awesome watches released, it was just too much for me to withstand.

HELP!!! I've been G-Shocked!