New member, new owner, first problem!

Iain351

Hi Folks,
Been browsing for a while, now time to dive in and say hello :encouragement:
My name's Iain, I'm from Cheshire in the UK.
Today I took delivery of my first ever G Shock! I have many watches from Breitling and Rolex to old (and new) calculator LCD watches, but never a G shock before now..
I opted for a red G-7900 to dip my toe in the water so to speak, and it arrived today from an AD (online) and I'm gutted to say nothing on it works! :(
It looks fine at first glance but doesn't respond to a single button push. I can't make the light work, or even change mode..
Needless to say I've contacted the retailer (awaiting response as it was after hours) but just before I make a prat of myself have I done something obviously wrong?
I even checked the manual, so that goes to show how desperate I am!
Any thoughts peeps?
If not it'll be going back for one which works. Bit of a disappointing start I'm afraid...
Cheers
Iain

Iain351

First: welcome!

Now, to help out more can you take a good photo of the watch face? Please include the plastic outer bezel in the photo.

sent with aloha

Thanks for your reply.
I don't have a pic to hand of my one, but I had saved this pic when I was looking to purchase one (source I can't recall) & it is identical to mine in every respect;

E984A189-49EB-4EE1-8EFC-34FBE627DC27-237-0000001BCFB480DB_zpsd7221cd8.jpg

Cheers
Iain

LUW

Welcome aboard, Iain!
shake.gif

From what you wrote, I infer that the display is working (it's not blank) but no button work when you press them? And when you press the buttons they do move, correct? If that's true for all the buttons, then the module is defective, and your best option is to return it. If it was only one button, stuck or not working, then maybe the bezel could be placed wrong and interfered with the action of the buttons or even (more rarely) the module was not correctly seated in the case, and then you could open it up and set things straight. But if the module is at fault, you better return it.

First time I hear something like this, but assembly/manufacturing issues though (very) rare with G-Shocks, are not impossible.

Iain351

Welcome aboard, Iain!
shake.gif

From what you wrote, I infer that the display is working (it's not blank) but no button work when you press them? And when you press the buttons they do move, correct? If that's true for all the buttons, then the module is defective, and your best option is to return it. If it was only one button, stuck or not working, then maybe the bezel could be placed wrong and interfered with the action of the buttons or even (more rarely) the module was not correctly seated in the case, and then you could open it up and set things straight. But if the module is at fault, you better return it.

First time I hear something like this, but assembly/manufacturing issues though (very) rare with G-Shocks, are not impossible.

Thanks Luw.
You are correct the display is present, as in the pic pretty much, but none of the buttons function, or change anything in the display.
The buttons move, although I would say the light button action is a bit..; well, dissatisfying, but nothing happens.
I had done a search before posting but couldn't find any similar problems, so I guess it's a rare occurrence. I can almost forgive the AD for sending it as I don't think you would assume you need to check a new item is working ok either!
I'm still awaiting their response which is a little disappointing, but it is new years eve, so I'll let it go for today. Sadly their website now shows 'item out of stock' so my guess is I had the last one and a replacement won't be forthcoming. £57 was a good price for that model I think BUT it needs to work!
Thanks again,
Iain