G-Shock DW-5200 mini restoration

rutteger

Administrator
Posted this elsewhere a few years back, thought I'd share it here also.

Was lucky enough to pick up this DW-5200 from ebay for the princely sum of £2.71 (approx US$5). The watch was really badly listed (something along the lines of 'retro casio') with a really awful picture but with the help of various G-Shock sites was able to pick out what it was. Here are a few pictures on arrival

Img_3548.jpg

Img_3555.jpg

Img_3556.jpg

As you can see from the pics the watch is in fine shape, the crystal is really clean and the screw back is hardly marked. Light and beeper also work (although took me a while to figure there was no beep between modes). New bezel and seal were ordered from casio service UK.

Only small problem was the screws. Despite lots of wd40 and care was only able to get two out. The others sheared off in the case - guess they probably hadn't moved for 20 years. Rang round a few of the local jewellers. Most weren't interested or wanted 20 quid just to look at the watch. The only one who thought he might help took one look and suggested i glue the bezel on

As such decided to have a go myself. Purchased some 'precision' mini hss drills and went from there...

Img_3571sm.jpg

First off I taped up the face and back to avoid any scrathes. Clamped the watch in the vice using card for extra protection. Looks very amateurish I'll admit but it held the watch securely and without damage.

Img_3572sm.jpg

Next off the drilling commenced. Settled on using a 'dremel style' drill. Started with a small (around 0.5 mm) drill and alternated between that and a larger one (around 0.9mm). A few broke whilst I was figuring things out. Took about 45 mins to get both out, just simply drilled down the length of the sheared screw until I'd destroyed them. Took so long because I checked my work very regularly to ensure the hole was going as planned and was very careful. Once done a quick clean with a bezel screw was all that was required, the top part of the threads aren't great but the lower parts are just fine.

Casio UK had kindly supplied new bezel screws (although of the crosshead variety rather than 100% correct flathead, not too bothered ) so all that remained was fitting it back together...

So here is the finished article, have to say I'm quite pleased.

Img_3577sm.jpg

Img_3581sm.jpg

And the obligitory wrist shot

Img_3603sm.jpg

Love the half hourly chime!

The 25 year old Casio is still able to stand a little use too

Imgp5276.jpg

Still wear this quite regularly, probably one of my faves. Since these pictures were taken I've swapped the bezel for an older bezel off a DW-5600C I have. The new bezel had a slightly different texture to the old one and wasn't a 100% perfect match to the strap. Still looking for some original flathead bezel screws too ;)

tough solar

yeah thats a great vintage classic dw-5200c
Posted this elsewhere a few years back, thought I'd share it here also.

Was lucky enough to pick up this DW-5200 from ebay for the princely sum of £2.71 (approx US$5). The watch was really badly listed (something along the lines of 'retro casio') with a really awful picture but with the help of various G-Shock sites was able to pick out what it was. Here are a few pictures on arrival

View attachment 492

View attachment 493

View attachment 494

As you can see from the pics the watch is in fine shape, the crystal is really clean and the screw back is hardly marked. Light and beeper also work (although took me a while to figure there was no beep between modes). New bezel and seal were ordered from casio service UK.

Only small problem was the screws. Despite lots of wd40 and care was only able to get two out. The others sheared off in the case - guess they probably hadn't moved for 20 years. Rang round a few of the local jewellers. Most weren't interested or wanted 20 quid just to look at the watch. The only one who thought he might help took one look and suggested i glue the bezel on

As such decided to have a go myself. Purchased some 'precision' mini hss drills and went from there...

View attachment 495

First off I taped up the face and back to avoid any scrathes. Clamped the watch in the vice using card for extra protection. Looks very amateurish I'll admit but it held the watch securely and without damage.

View attachment 496

Next off the drilling commenced. Settled on using a 'dremel style' drill. Started with a small (around 0.5 mm) drill and alternated between that and a larger one (around 0.9mm). A few broke whilst I was figuring things out. Took about 45 mins to get both out, just simply drilled down the length of the sheared screw until I'd destroyed them. Took so long because I checked my work very regularly to ensure the hole was going as planned and was very careful. Once done a quick clean with a bezel screw was all that was required, the top part of the threads aren't great but the lower parts are just fine.

Casio UK had kindly supplied new bezel screws (although of the crosshead variety rather than 100% correct flathead, not too bothered ) so all that remained was fitting it back together...

So here is the finished article, have to say I'm quite pleased.

View attachment 497

View attachment 498

And the obligitory wrist shot

View attachment 499

Love the half hourly chime!

The 25 year old Casio is still able to stand a little use too

View attachment 500

Still wear this quite regularly, probably one of my faves. Since these pictures were taken I've swapped the bezel for an older bezel off a DW-5600C I have. The new bezel had a slightly different texture to the old one and wasn't a 100% perfect match to the strap. Still looking for some original flathead bezel screws too ;)