PDA

View Full Version : WRUW : 7th Nov -> 13th Nov

rutteger
2011-11-07, 09:19
Always a decision what to start the new week with.

Went with the DW-5300-G9V. Sadly needs a new keeper :(

macspite
2011-11-07, 13:06
There must be a large number of people with Casio watches with broken keepers. I know Casio's solution is to sell a new wristband complete which is fine for their profits and frustrating for the watch owner, even if a matching wristband is available.

I wonder if we have enough clout, as a forum dedicated to G-Shocks (with the occasional heretics sneaking in a Seiko or two), to pester Casio either in the UK or Japan to sell us a load of generic black keepers? If we could get a hundred for even a couple of quid each then the surplus could go on eBay for, say, 3.99 buy it now.

macspite
2011-11-07, 13:31
I had an hour's paperwork to do this morning before going over to the army barracks to fiddle around with a couple of my vehicles.It is now 14:15 and I have just finished sorting out the complications arising from the first couple of emails sent this morning :(

Ok, I will admit to sneaking a few minutes around midday to bid and win on anther G-Shock ...

So I have looked at the weather (grey), decided to stay home, taken off my trusty dirty work GW-500 and strapped on my G'Mix GM-100-1A.

The alarm is set for midnight and plays one of five tunes at random. since the clocks went back it has been sounding off at a more sensible 23:00. The idea being that if I hear the alarm I should stop whatever I am doing and go to bed. Now set to correct time again.

rutteger
2011-11-07, 14:37
Like that G-Mix model, especially since it's totally new to me :D Guess it's mid-late 90s vintage??

rutteger
2011-11-07, 15:09
There must be a large number of people with Casio watches with broken keepers. I know Casio's solution is to sell a new wristband complete which is fine for their profits and frustrating for the watch owner, even if a matching wristband is available.

I wonder if we have enough clout, as a forum dedicated to G-Shocks (with the occasional heretics sneaking in a Seiko or two), to pester Casio either in the UK or Japan to sell us a load of generic black keepers? If we could get a hundred for even a couple of quid each then the surplus could go on eBay for, say, 3.99 buy it now.

Yes, nice idea. Seen some 'aftermarket' Casio straps appearing on ebay, wonder if these might be a better source for keepers.

macspite
2011-11-07, 16:06
Will check the after market straps but it seems a shame to buy a whole wristband just for the keeper.

Re the G-Mix - year setting runs forward to 2039 but the first year that can be set is 2000 which kind of dates it to that year. The tunes available are (Can't get no) Satisfaction, Smells like Teen Spirit, Heartbreak Hotel, New Year's Day and Walk this Way. All in glorious Casio tones - there are two little contact springs instead of one to provide the sound so I assume it is two notes at a time - melody and bass line.

It was ruinously expensive - 45 quid - and sold as a non-runner. Slightly complex battery replacement too as illustrated by the poor quality pictures taken at the time:

Back of watch showing Abu Dhabi airport shop sticker ( I think). Note the holes around the back of the watch - to let the sound out!

The true case back is the flat, black metal disc that is a push fit into the case and is clamped down by the outer back, secured by the normal four screws

Under the flat disc, now upside down and showing the silicone gasket is another disc, marked e40 and a rubber shock absorber. This is the first watch I have opened where the module wanted to come out with the rubber disc.

Rubber shock absorber, module (2171) and old CR-2016

Partly back together, awaiting e40 plate (sound plate or resonator?), black functional back and stainless decorative back. I assume the e40 plate is what makes it so loud, easy to hear the hour or alarm signal even with radio or TV playing. Note the two cil springs and the one tongue spring.

Just realised that these photos show me "making the beast with two backs ..."

gshockpete
2011-11-07, 18:39
@macspite love the G-Mix too!

No G for me today

macspite
2011-11-07, 19:15
Nice, obviously a divers watch, plain and simple - what is it?

rutteger
2011-11-07, 19:33
Will check the after market straps but it seems a shame to buy a whole wristband just for the keeper.

I didn't explain myself so well, more meant might be worth contacting these supplier to see if they could do a run of keepers seperately. Know people have spoken with Casio in the past with no luck.

Re the G-Mix - year setting runs forward to 2039 but the first year that can be set is 2000 which kind of dates it to that year. The tunes available are (Can't get no) Satisfaction, Smells like Teen Spirit, Heartbreak Hotel, New Year's Day and Walk this Way. All in glorious Casio tones - there are two little contact springs instead of one to provide the sound so I assume it is two notes at a time - melody and bass line.

It was ruinously expensive - 45 quid - and sold as a non-runner. Slightly complex battery replacement too as illustrated by the poor quality pictures taken at the time:

Back of watch showing Abu Dhabi airport shop sticker ( I think). Note the holes around the back of the watch - to let the sound out!

The true case back is the flat, black metal disc that is a push fit into the case and is clamped down by the outer back, secured by the normal four screws

Under the flat disc, now upside down and showing the silicone gasket is another disc, marked e40 and a rubber shock absorber. This is the first watch I have opened where the module wanted to come out with the rubber disc.

Rubber shock absorber, module (2171) and old CR-2016

Partly back together, awaiting e40 plate (sound plate or resonator?), black functional back and stainless decorative back. I assume the e40 plate is what makes it so loud, easy to hear the hour or alarm signal even with radio or TV playing. Note the two cil springs and the one tongue spring.

Just realised that these photos show me "making the beast with two backs ..."

Cool tear down shots. Really think I've luckily missed something with that last comment.

rutteger
2011-11-07, 19:35
@macspite love the G-Mix too!

No G for me today

Vostok! What do you reckon do it? Is it a modern one? Always fancied one but never quite got round to getting one like this. Had an older pre-Glasnot era Vostok which was clearly a bitsa special, it wasn't that good.

rutteger
2011-11-07, 20:06
These are the 'aftermarket' Casio straps > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310280107756#ht_2307wt_1344

macspite
2011-11-07, 21:30
Found them wholesale - incoming PM!

gshockpete
2011-11-08, 07:33
Vostok! What do you reckon do it? Is it a modern one? Always fancied one but never quite got round to getting one like this. Had an older pre-Glasnot era Vostok which was clearly a bitsa special, it wasn't that good.

Vostok indeed! Its the Russian Navy Amphibia Diver. It has the 2416b movement with 31 jewels. Accuracy not brilliant but I like it. It was my Grandads who got it while in Russia many moons ago.

macspite
2011-11-08, 09:49
I blame that gshockpete! :)

I thought I would get a blue and purple GLX-5600 too. It's about time that I got a square watch just to see if I could live with the concept and as I live by the sea what better watch to get than one with a tide graph - to save me looking out of the window. Postie rang the doorbell this morning and handed me the eagerly awaited package from Hong Kong.

And here it is - blue and purple:

Bought on eBay on 31st October, free postage, arrived today. I have had UK deals that have taken longer!

gshockpete
2011-11-08, 10:34
I blame that gshockpete! :)

I thought I would get a blue and purple GLX-5600 too. It's about time that I got a square watch just to see if I could live with the concept and as I live by the sea what better watch to get than one with a tide graph - to save me looking out of the window.

Awesome love that one, looks fantastic, love the blue writing which stands out really nice - might have to add that to my collection ;-)

rutteger
2011-11-08, 11:08
Ace! Super bright, love it :)

Today went for the Wademan. Better wrist shot, will upload more pics to the thread later today.

rutteger
2011-11-08, 11:09
Vostok indeed! Its the Russian Navy Amphibia Diver. It has the 2416b movement with 31 jewels. Accuracy not brilliant but I like it. It was my Grandads who got it while in Russia many moons ago.

Nice, especially if it's an older one. Is it an auto?

gshockpete
2011-11-08, 17:46
Loving that Wademan top notch work on it!

Vostok was indeed auto.

rutteger
2011-11-09, 09:22
Dug out a rarely worn model. The white partially fabric strap would be quite hard (impossible) to replace and it's already slightly discoloured from wear :(

DW-9350MSJ Middle Sea Race Raysman :D

gshockpete
2011-11-09, 10:36
Put the G-Lide back on today, I blame that macspite :)

macspite
2011-11-09, 10:56
@gshockpete, @rutteger: Looks fine to me!

Gone for a non-G today. Casio W-728H

Brochure below is for Battle of Britain Memorial Flight - if they are flying to an airshow and your event is only a few miles deviation from their flightpath they will overfly for free. Third year of trying to get them to appear at our military show (http://wp.me/P1s0Rn-88), last year the Dakota went u/s, previous year high winds at base airfield prevented take-off.

rutteger
2011-11-09, 11:35
@macspite goes to show the range Casio produce! Always find that having worn Gs regularly normal Casios (and digitals) seem somewhat small in comparison.

Good luck sorting the flypast :D

gshockpete
2011-11-10, 11:55
Afternoon, boardroom meeting today so lots of s/steel, mostly Rolex and Omega but my Seiko stands up well.

G on tomorrow, shall we all try for a 11:11:11 11 -11 photo ?

rutteger
2011-11-10, 14:01
Think the Seiko can hold it's own.

Nice idea on the 11-11-11 photo, will try to remember to wear one which displays the year.

Gone for the new GLX-5600-1ER . Had already decided to flip it before it arrived - how many square black watches does one man need.

However I do quite like it ;)

gshockpete
2011-11-10, 19:36
@rutteger very nice! Glossy black too ? I'll take it if you do flip it :-)

macspite
2011-11-10, 20:14
Not a 11-11-11-11-11-11 shot but one I was trying out for my club blog. Found that as the time rolled over the hour all that was displayed was :00

So I grabbed an old Sekonda which was a lot easier to play with

As for today, it was dark when I left the south coast, far too busy during daylight and because of a person hit by a train near Northallerton arrived in Edinburgh far too late to take pix - reports to write :(

rutteger
2011-11-10, 20:41
@rutteger very nice! Glossy black too ? I'll take it if you do flip it :-)

Cheers :D I'll hold into it for now, if it goes I'll let you know.

Not a 11-11-11-11-11-11 shot but one I was trying out for my club blog. Found that as the time rolled over the hour all that was displayed was :00

So I grabbed an old Sekonda which was a lot easier to play with

As for today, it was dark when I left the south coast, far too busy during daylight and because of a person hit by a train near Northallerton arrived in Edinburgh far too late to take pix - reports to write :(

Nice atmospheric shots

Bubbly Tubs
2011-11-11, 07:17
Going with this one today, as it only arrived a couple of days ago. Old pic but you get the idea.

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee476/Bubbly_Tubs/5d1b2838.jpg

gshockpete
2011-11-11, 10:14
4 out of 5 11's

rutteger
2011-11-11, 10:47
Thought I'd best go with something a little brighter today

macspite
2011-11-11, 18:23
Tried for all the elevens but was on a train bumping its way down the east coast so the resulting shot is, err, abstract and artistic. However I did get a shot of my "Lover's" CodeName in Edinburgh. Well, in the breakfast room of the hotel I was in. Fried breakfast and haggis, sets you up for the day!

rutteger
2011-11-11, 21:24
What a contrast :D

macspite
2011-11-12, 15:16
I bid on and won a watch on eBay on Monday the 7th at midday and postie handed it to me this morning, Saturday 12th at 09:00. Nothing special about that except that this watch had come all the way from Japan. The postage cost me 3.15 - less than many UK eBay sellers charge.

It's the second time I have bought a watch from eBay seller murabitokun (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/murabitokun/m.html?item=150689258183&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649&_trksid=p4340.l2562) and I am happy to recommend them to anyone. Watches aren't their mainstream activity though normally there are a couple for sale but there's also a great range of distinctly Japanese figures and other items.

No connection other than as a satisfied customer.

So what arrived, set to Tokyo time, well protected inside a sturdy red box? This:

DWX-100-9AT

gshockpete
2011-11-12, 18:37
No G today but still Casio, sorry for the poor pic.

macspite
2011-11-12, 18:46
Nice, what is it?

rutteger
2011-11-12, 19:25
@macspite, now that is good service. G looks very cool in a sort of late 90s futuristic way.

GLX GLide again today.

rutteger
2011-11-13, 19:41
Vanilla DW-6900 today.

Two more Casios snagged this weekend. One G and one not.

macspite
2011-11-13, 20:19
Went to the Imperial War Museum, Duxford today as it was Remembrance Sunday. Museum was free (saving the normal 16.50), vast and packed. Although an aetheist i attended the service for the chance to reflect on those who have given up their lives to secure ours.

Went on board a de Haviland Comet hoping to photograph my GW-3000 "cockpit series" analog against the flight deck instruments but lighting and press of people pushing past put paid to that idea. Tried some shots in the coach on the way home but, unless you want to see out of focus, orange lit blurs I am keeping the pictures to myself.

Got home with seconds to spare to successfully bid on eBay to keep the obligatory "two in the post" running :)