PDA

View Full Version : WRUW : 19th to 25th December

gshockpete
2011-12-19, 14:34
Still got the GW2310 on. Time for a change soon me thinks.

rutteger
2011-12-19, 17:58
Gone with the Middle Sea Race Raysman today.

13 years old but still looking fairly current due to it's BIG size :D

macspite
2011-12-19, 18:48
At home today, still wearing my custom 6600. Now playing with the contents of my parcel from the States - getting rid of the American accents and teaching 'em to speak GMT.

Briefly wore the GLX-5600 before deciding that it was too nice for ordinary occasions. here's a photo from Saturday:

@ rutteger - Nice Raysman, how big is it compared to a modern Riseman or DW-6900 for instance?

gshockpete
2011-12-20, 13:55
:rolleyes:

rutteger
2011-12-20, 14:46
Gone for the G-5500R today :D

rutteger
2011-12-20, 14:49
@ rutteger - Nice Raysman, how big is it compared to a modern Riseman or DW-6900 for instance?

Size wise it's quite similar to a GW-9200 Riseman or GW-200 series Frog. The Raysman is quite 'tall' too which makes it wear even bigger. Quick and dirty comparison shot

macspite
2011-12-20, 21:11
Thanks for the comparison shots. Wore a watch you may be familiar with today, job turned into a nightmare, muck and swarf everywere hence the slightly dirty appearance

GW-810D at Paddington station

mhernan1
2011-12-21, 03:19
That is a beautiful piece. What kind of features does this watch have?

macspite
2011-12-21, 04:57
Check these - click here (http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B000L0WL4M/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1)

gshockpete
2011-12-21, 07:46
@macspite I agree lovely watch! bad news about the muck and swarf!

Bubbly Tubs
2011-12-21, 10:16
Hi guys, I'm on nights at the mo so running a day behind as far as this thread is concerned. Here is what I wore last night.

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee476/Bubbly_Tubs/21129cde.jpg

White 8900, one I purchased up at GSE last week

rutteger
2011-12-21, 13:46
@Bubbly tubs - Nice 8900 and collection behind :D

@macspite glad to know it's getting some use

Gone with the DW-6500 skyforce today

macspite
2011-12-21, 20:26
@ rutteger - Don't worry too much, I will give it a clean before the next outing. Nice Skyforce, that is one of the models on my shopping list.

Today at Kings Cross, very grand, meeting in the board room then walk round the new station building surveying where the ticket machines are due to go. Then back to Paddington - the problems there are down to the right key being used in the wrong machine and breaking off in the lock. These machines are designed to resist oiks like me trying to get at the cash inside so getting in with only localised damage to the lock (which had to be replaced anyway) is a laborious job.

Dressed in hi-viz orange and drilling into a cash containing ticket machine - no-one took a blind bit of notice. may have to go back and do a bit of freelance drilling on my own account ...

Anyway, today was the turn of one of my pre-loved/owned/abused watches to enjoy the muck, swarf and vibration:

DW-003X-4T

rutteger
2011-12-21, 22:04
Amazing what you can get away with if you look official :cool:

Skyforce is a great model, however the prices have been nudged up slightly by the fact MMA figher Fedor Emelianenko favours the DW-6500. And every eBay auction points this out ;)

Bubbly Tubs
2011-12-22, 01:56
Went with the 9300 Mudman last night, ironic really as I did get stuck in the mud!

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee476/Bubbly_Tubs/5ece7f89.jpg

gshockpete
2011-12-22, 07:49
Back to my current fave at the moment.

Thinking of selling my GA-100-1A1ER - will put a post up later, anyone interested ?

rutteger
2011-12-22, 08:54
Went with the 9300 Mudman last night, ironic really as I did get stuck in the mud!

Bad luck, how did you manage that? Pretty damp outside at the moment with it being 10 degrees and all.

Back to my current fave at the moment.

Nice choice :D

Thinking of selling my GA-100-1A1ER - will put a post up later, anyone interested ?

Sworn off buying anything new until 2012, however if you fancied a PX against my black glx-5600....

rutteger
2011-12-22, 08:57
Gone with the DW-5300-1BV

macspite
2011-12-22, 16:37
Way I have been spending may need to put a few of mine on the market soon :(

Today was a crawling under counters and drilling cable routes day at Victoria so thought my 5 quid Casio could do with an outing - DW-
003TB-7VT:

Sorry about colour cast, fluorescent light in the workshop

gshockpete
2011-12-23, 08:16
Last day at work for 2011 :cool:

Bubbly Tubs
2011-12-23, 09:12
Still got one more shift to go. But here's last nights kit

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee476/Bubbly_Tubs/b9dae4bb.jpg

@ rutteger all I can say is I won't be trying to turn a front wheel drive car around in a field again any time soon ha ha

rutteger
2011-12-23, 13:34
@ rutteger all I can say is I won't be trying to turn a front wheel drive car around in a field again any time soon ha ha

Ah yes, not be recommended. Still probably better (depending on your point of view) to RWD in last years snow ;).

Went for the DW-5025 today, it's white so must be vaguely festive, right :D

macspite
2011-12-23, 16:50
Working for DLR today, itinerary somewhat dictated by my DLR counterpart's need to go to certain shops! Must get to Brick Lane sometime when I am in DLR land.

Gave my new King its first outing, think I got a bargain at 65.10 including post, been admiring the one in Hinds' window at full 125 retail every time I popped into our local town.

So here it is (Merry Christmas) ...

Everybody's having fun?

Bubbly Tubs
2011-12-23, 17:05
That is a damn good price for a king. They feel a little big at first but after a while others just feel wrong.

rutteger
2011-12-23, 21:05
That is a damn good price for a king. They feel a little big at first but after a while others just feel wrong.

x2, that is a good price, especially if new!

macspite
2011-12-23, 21:19
I thought it was around the best I could hope for - from watches2u. Tried typing "watches2u promo code" into google and got an additional 7% off with code W2U1 entered at point of sale. Cheaper than anything I could find on eBay, orderedon Monday, City Link delivered Wednesday with order acknowledgement and tracking and a follow up after sales feedback questionnaire tonight. Good service!

macspite
2011-12-24, 10:01
Having a lie in, thinking about taking the GW-3000B for an outing when Roger the postie rang the doorbell. Today's choice of G has been made for me by a combination of quick packaging by the eBay seller and speedy work by Deutsche DHL and the post office.

Paid a stiff price for this one but it is in nice nick. And the Daddy to the King. :cool:

DW-8300 aka Stargate aka Heavy Metal:

And now to the post office to pick up the last? parcel of the year :)

rutteger
2011-12-24, 13:38
I thought it was around the best I could hope for - from watches2u. Tried typing "watches2u promo code" into google and got an additional 7% off with code W2U1 entered at point of sale. Cheaper than anything I could find on eBay, orderedon Monday, City Link delivered Wednesday with order acknowledgement and tracking and a follow up after sales feedback questionnaire tonight. Good service!

That is keen, paid about the same for the same but used. Anyhow my King says aloha :D

rutteger
2011-12-24, 13:39
Having a lie in, thinking about taking the GW-3000B for an outing when Roger the postie rang the doorbell. Today's choice of G has been made for me by a combination of quick packaging by the eBay seller and speedy work by Deutsche DHL and the post office.

Paid a stiff price for this one but it is in nice nick. And the Daddy to the King. :cool:

DW-8300 aka Stargate aka Heavy Metal:

And now to the post office to pick up the last? parcel of the year :)

Last of the year? Look forward to seeing what it is.

How does the DW-8300 stack up against the King? Owned both but never at the same time for a direct comparison, recall the DW-8300 being BIG!!

macspite
2011-12-24, 15:41
Will do a comparison of the two in greater depth when I find the time - took today off but tomorrow is writing reports, doing method statements and work plans and sorting out my own accounts. Boxing day is yet another day off! Then back to work Tuesday.

Stargate is slightly smaller than King, about same height, same wrist "presence", much easier to read, more exclusive and more expensive.
Big, strong backlight and the standard time, timer, alarm and stopwatch functions. Looks good for a 1995 watch. Will the King become as much of a classic? I think it will ...

rutteger
2011-12-24, 21:46
Get the impression the King is probably more numerous than the Stargate. Only time will tell, a classic for sure though.

rutteger
2011-12-25, 10:52
Gone for the white dw-5025 today, nice and festive :D

macspite
2011-12-25, 11:47
Don't think it was Santa who brought me these - not after looking at my PayPal and bank accounts :(

Still, had to be done! :cool: So what to wear?

A Frogman?

Slightly modded:
-GW-200MS (Military Frog) Case [the one that is blacked out with gloss black buttons]
-GW-200TC (Triple Crown Blue version) solar panel with the blue eye
-GW-200TC (Triple Crown Blue version bezel) (but the bezel screws and pegs have been changed out for the darker Master Blue bezel parts)
-GW-225C (Master Blue) LCD
-GW-225C (Master Blue) Band (Brand New)

Or perhaps this Frogman?

Slightly modded:
GW-200TC (Triple Crown blue version) Case and LCD (with the Triple crown logo in the backlight--one of the nicest and least obstrusive backlight logos)
GW-225C Bezel (Stealthed, and pegs have been replaced with the GW-200TC version)
GW-225C Band
GW-200Z solar panel (stealthed, to remove most of the text)

Pictures (and the price :( ) - click here (http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/2-casio-g-shock-frogman-mods-sale-great-price-616805.html)

No I am going to wear the watch I picked up yesterday. I may be a bearded brutish slob but it is nice sometimes to get in touch with my feminine side:

BG-325 with aftermarket Animal velcro strap - one of the longest I have encountered, almost wraps twice round my wrist!

Happy Christmas everybody!

rutteger
2011-12-26, 11:49
Baby-G a quirky choice, esp on the old animal strap ;)

Frogs of more interest, couple of corkers you've picked up there. Clearly the package from SoCal? Price for two Frogs seems very good, no need for a sad face imho :D Some pretty extensive modding gone on to that lower one, good work on removing the text from the dial!

macspite
2011-12-26, 13:25
If Baby-G is good enough for Andy McNab's "Nick Stone" then it's good enough for me! Quirkiness balanced by cheapness :) And .it is another beater to add to the three or four "sacrificial" watches for the dirtier jobs. There must be Baby-G collectors but there seems rather less information about them, also they seem to be fairly cheap but equal in technical sophistication to G's. This was advertised on eBay as "a man's Baby-G" which of course caught my eye

The Frogs I am very pleased with, grabbed them an hour and a half after they appeared in watchuseek. All the modding down to Robert Caron of SoCal who did a very neat and competent job. Think I prefer the lettered one to the stealth but will give it plenty of time to make sure.

Price was good but UK HMRC wanted their VAT and ParcelFarce their cut for collecting it, added 52 to the bill :(

rutteger
2011-12-27, 10:31
If Baby-G is good enough for Andy McNab's "Nick Stone" then it's good enough for me! Quirkiness balanced by cheapness :) And .it is another beater to add to the three or four "sacrificial" watches for the dirtier jobs. There must be Baby-G collectors but there seems rather less information about them, also they seem to be fairly cheap but equal in technical sophistication to G's. This was advertised on eBay as "a man's Baby-G" which of course caught my eye

The Frogs I am very pleased with, grabbed them an hour and a half after they appeared in watchuseek. All the modding down to Robert Caron of SoCal who did a very neat and competent job. Think I prefer the lettered one to the stealth but will give it plenty of time to make sure.

Price was good but UK HMRC wanted their VAT and ParcelFarce their cut for collecting it, added 52 to the bill :(

If they are good enough for the Special Forces would agree they are probably good enough for you and I. Have heard that story before, wonder if they are genuinely used.

Few sites seem to even cover Baby-G releases although we do here on g-Shockzone > Baby-G new releases (http://www.g-shockzone.com/list.php?category/54-Baby-G-Japan-Monthly-Release).

Not surprised you're happy although getting hit for customs is a blow.

macspite
2011-12-27, 19:14
Ah, a certain amount of misunderstanderization (I'm teaching myself US English from a book of Dubya's old speeches :) )

In the Nick Stone novels he wears a Baby-G that he had bought for the daughter of his murdered friends who subsequently gets murdered herself. No such story attached to mine, I hope.

Yeah, 50 quid VAT is annoying - could have been two cheapies or one half-decent G from eBay :(

rutteger
2011-12-27, 22:33
Ah, a certain amount of misunderstanderization (I'm teaching myself US English from a book of Dubya's old speeches :) )

In the Nick Stone novels he wears a Baby-G that he had bought for the daughter of his murdered friends who subsequently gets murdered herself. No such story attached to mine, I hope.

Yeah, 50 quid VAT is annoying - could have been two cheapies or one half-decent G from eBay :(

Ah ha. I was aware that someone or other in McNab's books wore a Baby-G but was unaware of the back story. Also read (internet forum) posts elsewhere which indicated Special Forces do indeed wear Baby-Gs. No idea if true (hence wondering if genuine) but seems unlikely, suspect someone had just read a McNab book....