Back in Black.

disavowed

Back in Black - aka the FAUX M:I

Grabbed this '94 5300 for $31 & free shipping on eBay. Must admit I love the ol'school basic G-SHOCK look and this particular case shape.

The first thing I did was immediately remove the former owner's DNA by a thorough application of mild soap via a disposable vibrating toothbrush over the entire watch and strap. Now completely clean - but with a light post-soap/wash residue that I seem to remember goes away...

IMG_0220.jpg

Despite the replacement strap, I think it was a great price for its working condition (including the light). Looks like the module is slightly tilted (I'm assuming an easy fix). The back is clean, scratch-free and the screw heads show no signs of stripping.

IMG_0221.jpg

Have only recently realized that the 5300 is NOT the Cruise worn watch from the '96 M:I movie...

Attachments

• MissionImpossible-Casio.jpg
    MissionImpossible-Casio.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 1,221

rutteger

Administrator
Quality pick up for $31, really nice find especially with a intact bezel. I also find the bezels on my 5300s seem to tarnish (not sure if that's the right word) over time, normally if I wipe them down it returns them to the normal finish.

Really nice watch and one of my fave Gs. Sadly you are probably right about Cruise not wearing one in Mission Impossible, think it was some kind of G-Shock urban myth. Check Dutch G-Shock collectors Sjors blog post on the matter > http://50-gs.blogspot.com/2011/05/g-shock-21-mission-impossibledw-5300.html . As you screenshot shows the model he wore was probably the DW-290

dw-290-1vs_2.jpg

disavowed

Exactly the one...

Saw the blog for the first time last night when I was, ahem - 'Hunting' for a DW-5300 movie screen and directly edited my post last night, before your reply.

And then of course immediately bought the DW290-1V, due here by/before next Wednesday. I actually remember seeing these in stores 15+ years ago...

Rather interesting it's considered a 'Pre-G' and that they are still available, brand-new.

Thanks for the comments.

rutteger

Administrator
Exactly the one...

Saw the blog for the first time last night when I was, ahem - 'Hunting' for a DW-5300 movie screen and directly edited my post last night, before your reply.

And then of course immediately bought the DW290-1V, due here by/before next Wednesday. I actually remember seeing these in stores 15+ years ago...

Rather interesting it's considered a 'Pre-G' and that they are still available, brand-new.

Thanks for the comments.

Was also a little dissapointed when I found out the DW-5300 wasn't the 'Mission Impossible' watch.

Cool to see the DW-290 still in production though. For all the innovation and technology at the top end great to see casio are still churning out more affordable designs which have been around for 20 odd years.

disavowed

Agreed.

Will post a pic of the 290 next to the 5300 when I get it.

Must say I can see why the 2 models were confused, as far as the true model I.D. of the M:I watch - with each having the basic G rectangular shape but w/ 'cut corners'. And now there's the HD technology to better I.D. watches in movies, as opposed to the poorer resolution from VHS tapes and DVD's from past years.

Also interesting that the M:I franchise continued the following 3 movies with G-Shocks, based on Cruise having worn a CASIO in the first movie.

rutteger

Administrator
Comparison shots would be cool.

It's indeed easy to confuse the models. Watched the first film fairly recently (well, prior to that blog article) and thought Cruise was wearing a DW-5300. Unless you freeze frame and zoom it's easily mistaken.

Wonder whether this Japanese poster predates the myth Cruise wore a DW-5300 or started it...

375914d1295489440-error-impossible-mission_mag.jpg

disavowed

Saw that as well. Might help if we could translate.

CASIO may have played a part in that 'ad' to help promote the G-SHOCK line - not necessarily the 5300.

Another scenario: I wonder if M:I is the reason why the 290 is still in production! ;)

rutteger

Administrator
Saw that as well. Might help if we could translate.

CASIO may have played a part in that 'ad' to help promote the G-SHOCK line - not necessarily the 5300.

Another scenario: I wonder if M:I is the reason why the 290 is still in production! ;)

Would be interesting indeed, sure the connection hasn't hindered DW-5300 sales over the years.

disavowed

Another Footnote...

After I found out that the 290 was the actual M:I watch - not the 5300 - and after securing the early Jap version - I decided I could release my 5300 pictured above. Sold on eBay for $50 to a buyer who messaged me to ask if in 'good' condition - which I responded yes...

After he received it - he noticed a small chip in the resin bezel underside - and wanted a refund. So when I went to my auction pics, and the pic posted on the top of this thread - I saw the chip - but then noticed the "Japan" caseback description! I would have never sold it - MI movie or not - had I realized she was a Japan production (my last 5300's were Korean and most I've seen online are).

So now she's back - and will never leave the collection again. (I actually think the 5300 may be my fave case design).

Here she is next to my Jap and Chinese 290's...

Ocks-1.jpg

5300-1.jpg

Attachments

• Ocks.jpg
    Ocks.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 462