PDA

View Full Version : Discuss :-)

BoroGTI
2012-01-21, 09:56
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CASIO-G-SHOCK-G-Shock-Designer-Watch-WHITE-BRAND-NEW-L-K-/180796665513?pt=UK_Jewelery_Watches_Watches_MensWa tches_GL&hash=item2a18522ea9

macspite
2012-01-21, 11:21
Coherent words fail me, expletives flow freely :dejection:

Where do we start?

The printed hands whose pivot point isn't in the centre of the dial? Tough solar with a completely white face? The LED frontlight? Hands and digital times in no form of sync whatsoever?

The depressing thing is that there are 21 bids on it, 39 current bid and still 7 hours to go.

One for the fakes page that I should get round to contributing to on the Wiki :D

rutteger
2012-01-21, 15:19
Wow. That's a real shocker, probably one of the crappest fakes I've seen. Not even clear if it's based on any model in particular, just looks like a freestyle. Terrible. The price is suspect too, what's going on there?!?

TomBoyNI
2012-01-22, 12:44
Some poor sod paid 42 for that!

macspite
2012-01-22, 12:57
Unfortunately not an isolated incident. People are buying all kinds of fake Casios on eBay and eBay authorities seem to do nothing about acting on any reports of counterfeit watches sent in.

For this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140686085860&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123#ht_500wt_1288 I tried a more direct approach:

Dear williamtay2010,

William, the reason these watches have the functions reversed is that they are cheap Chinese fakes as I assume you know. Might be an idea to stop selling these before someone more vindictive than me reports you to eBay for selling counterfeit products.

Regards, Rob

TomBoyNI
2012-01-22, 13:03
Unfortunately not an isolated incident. People are buying all kinds of fake Casios on eBay and eBay authorities seem to do nothing about acting on any reports of counterfeit watches sent in.

For this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140686085860&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123#ht_500wt_1288 I tried a more direct approach:

Any reply?

macspite
2012-01-22, 15:06
No reply from your man but he ( I assume ) has pulled the auction with "item is no longer available". The problem is that it all too easy to buy these fakes from the far east, singly or in bulk and then punt them out to buyers who either don't know that they are buying a fake and are put off Casio for life or are fully aware that the item is a sexton but want it for its fashion cachet, much as fake Nike, Burberry, Bape items are eagerly bought.

I'm looking at entering the "homage" market myself but have very little capital so starting with a line of fake Poundland kit ...

seanobsdot
2012-01-22, 15:38
crazy some stupid idiot paid that much money for suck a poor looking watch. the number on it look like some kid painted them on...........

rutteger
2012-01-22, 18:50
Some poor sod paid 42 for that!

crazy some stupid idiot paid that much money for suck a poor looking watch. the number on it look like some kid painted them on...........

Indeed. 42 for that is shocking, feel sorry for the buyer.

rutteger
2012-01-22, 18:56
The problem is that it all too easy to buy these fakes from the far east, singly or in bulk and then punt them out to buyers who either don't know that they are buying a fake and are put off Casio for life or are fully aware that the item is a sexton but want it for its fashion cachet, much as fake Nike, Burberry, Bape items are eagerly bought.

Agreed, the internet makes selling stuff like this far easier too.

Not heard the term 'sexton' used to describe a fake before.

macspite
2012-01-22, 19:28
Whoops, showing my age there!

It's Cockney Wu Tang Clan - rhyming slang. Sexton = Sexton Blake = fake. Sexton Blake was a kind of Happy Shopper version of Sherlock Holmes and first appeared in print in 1893.

I first came across the term on encountering the artist and restorer Tom Keating who found his own pictures failed to sell - let Wikipaedia take up the story:

Keating perceived the gallery system to be rotten, dominated, he said, by American "avant-garde fashion, with critics and dealers often conniving to line their own pockets at the expense both of naive collectors and impoverished artists". Keating retaliated by creating forgeries to fool the experts, hoping to destabilize the system.

Keating planted 'time-bombs' in his products. He left clues of the paintings' true nature for fellow art restorers or conservators to find. For example, he might write text onto the canvas with lead white before he began the painting, knowing that x-rays would later reveal the text. He deliberately added flaws or anachronisms, or used materials peculiar to the twentieth century. Modern copyists of old masters use similar practices to guard against accusations of fraud.

I would recommend a read of the full article - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Keating - as Tom was an interesting character, an ethical faker who was out to con the so-called experts rather than fool the public. It was from him that I picked up the term Sexton for a fake bit of merchandise.

I bet you are sorry you asked, as a consolation here is a picture of a snide GA-100:

GTR83
2012-01-23, 02:28
A lot of Asians (among them Indonesians like me) are even able to make a living off manufacturing and selling fakes. It's depressing if you consider both the fakes and a majority of the original ones are made in China. There is a whole Chinese industry dedicated to fakes, not only G-Shocks, and of course the mainland Chinese will do nothing about it - they are getting paid for it, so why not. Note that this comment was not meant in any way to be racist.

rutteger
2012-01-23, 11:16
I would recommend a read of the full article - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Keating - as Tom was an interesting character, an ethical faker who was out to con the so-called experts rather than fool the public. It was from him that I picked up the term Sexton for a fake bit of merchandise.

I bet you are sorry you asked, as a consolation here is a picture of a snide GA-100:

Interesting read on Tom Keating, certainly more enriching than that GA-100 fake.

A lot of Asians (among them Indonesians like me) are even able to make a living off manufacturing and selling fakes. It's depressing if you consider both the fakes and a majority of the original ones are made in China. There is a whole Chinese industry dedicated to fakes, not only G-Shocks, and of course the mainland Chinese will do nothing about it - they are getting paid for it, so why not. Note that this comment was not meant in any way to be racist.

You are of course correct the issue of fakes is quite a complex one.