PDA

View Full Version : WRUW : 23rd Jan -> 29th Jan

rutteger
2012-01-23, 08:58
As someone once sang "Welcome to the working week". Gone for the GW-9300 to kick things off.

macspite
2012-01-23, 20:50
How nice to start the week off with a song!

"They call it stormy Monday, but Tuesday's just as bad
They call it stormy Monday, but Tuesday's just as bad
Wednesday's worse, and Thursday's also sad

Yes the eagle flies on Friday, and Saturday I go out to play
Eagle flies on Friday, and Saturday I go out to play
Sunday I go to church, then I kneel down and pray

Lord have mercy, Lord have mercy on me
Lord have mercy, my heart's in misery
Crazy about my baby, yes, send her back to me"

So now we are all cheered up :D here is my start of the week:

I went roaring through the west wing calling for the housekeeper so that I could berate her for allowing one of the maids to neglect the dusting to the extent seen on the face of this watch before realising that I had not only been in my friends workshop but cutting MDF on a saw bench. Still it's good to gee up one's servants occasionally, stops them becoming complacent and lazy.

I bought this watch new, as a cheapie with the intention of it being a sacrificial object - to be used and abused in favour of other, better looking items. Having said that this is growing on me, easy to read, comfortable on my wrist, solar atomic with a good auto backlight - ideal for dark mornings:

rutteger
2012-01-23, 21:21
Looks a bit too good for a proper beater!

macspite
2012-01-23, 22:06
Even beaters start off new. Give it time, this has only 5 months on the clock and has probably been worn no more than 20 times ...

rutteger
2012-01-24, 09:09
Even beaters start off new. Give it time, this has only 5 months on the clock and has probably been worn no more than 20 times ...

True.

Gone for the incoming DW-6900CS-7 today

Bought off eBay with a questionable photo sunday afternoon, arrived at my door today. Good stuff.

macspite
2012-01-24, 16:26
Good buy - always a worry when you only have an iffy photo to judge condition on. Looks like your gamble paid off, was it cheap because of the picture?

Working from home today, too lazy to change watches, still wearing my GW-500. As you can see from the picture I am really working very hard ...

Damn the internet! Now have four watches coming over from the States!

rutteger
2012-01-24, 20:39
Good buy - always a worry when you only have an iffy photo to judge condition on. Looks like your gamble paid off, was it cheap because of the picture?

It was 32.50 BIN so hardly mega cheap but an OK price for a more or less as new DW-6900. The picture wasn't great and I completed the transaction on my mobile so I could make even less out...

Damn the internet! Now have four watches coming over from the States!

Good stuff, anything interesting? Did you ever post up your Austrian Casio oddity?

rutteger
2012-01-25, 12:45
Blue Gulfman today.

macspite
2012-01-26, 01:37
Good stuff, anything interesting? Did you ever post up your Austrian Casio oddity?

Austrian oddity is being a slight disappointment as one function isn't working, trying surgery on it in between work breaks. Anything interesting - well, obviously to me but I will post pix when they arrive.

Working tonight at Gatwick - GW-1400DJ-1A stood up well to the vibes from an SDS drill - 40 22mmx200 holes in concrete.

rutteger
2012-01-26, 12:42
Austrian oddity is being a slight disappointment as one function isn't working, trying surgery on it in between work breaks. Anything interesting - well, obviously to me but I will post pix when they arrive.

Working tonight at Gatwick - GW-1400DJ-1A stood up well to the vibes from an SDS drill - 40 22mmx200 holes in concrete.

Bad news the oddity isn't 100% working. Although good to know the GW-1400 is SDS proof ;)

Gone for the G-5500 here today

macspite
2012-01-26, 23:15
Thought I had better wear something conservative for the club meeting tonight so I decided to co-ordinate T-shirt and watch colours:

Great skies tonight, some wispy cloud but otherwise clear, pleased to say that the moon was behaving as the GL-X-5600 said it should. Even in my light-polluted street there was an excellent display of stars, must get the binoculars and a warm jacket out and have a proper look later.

rutteger
2012-01-27, 10:38
Damn, that is bright. Is the band and bezel crystal or jelly? Looks quality anyhow, best cover it if you're stargazing ;)

Mudman today. It's light here so can't check the moon, will look later :D

rcorreale
2012-01-28, 15:56
GW-6900 today:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h4/rcorreale/253cdbbc.jpg

rutteger
2012-01-28, 19:09
The GW-6900 looks great, an understated classic.

Gone with something a little more bright, DW-6900CS-7

macspite
2012-01-28, 21:46
Sorry not to continue the triple-eyed monster theme but today was time for one of my beaters.

DW-003TB-7VT 4.17 including post (and paint flecks) from eBay

Spent the morning from 0600 doing my tax return then got stuck in helping a mate move a concrete sectional garage. Got captured at the end of the daylight to help get an old war horse (AEC Matador) turned timber truck into the vehicle compound:

Then back home to put a battery in the watch that came in the post this morning. Didn't have a 2016 to hand so robbed one out of an old module that was hanging around waiting to be built into a project:

CBX-1000 - poor quality due to low light from those bl**dy energy saving bulbs. Note washing up bowl with screwdriver and old battery - I do practice what I preach!

rcorreale
2012-01-29, 12:50
Master Blue Frog today:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h4/rcorreale/2fb711ad.jpg

rutteger
2012-01-29, 15:41
@macspite. Nice lorry, liking the cbx-1000 more though. What features does it have, original strap? Is this one from Austria?

@rcorreale - Great Frog, does the LCD have a blue tint to the display?

Gone for the old Gulfman today.

rcorreale
2012-01-29, 17:12

1691[/QUOTE]

Yes, blue tint on the display and the picture is an accurate representation of it (on my monitor at least).

I like the Gulfman, I have the newer model.

macspite
2012-01-29, 17:45
@macspite. Nice lorry, liking the cbx-1000 more though. What features does it have, original strap? Is this one from Austria?

CBX-1000 is first one of four from different vendors in the States. Straight to my door, no customs hassles this time. NATO strap rather than the original, not sure of full feature set as no manual for the 948 module on the Casio site. Split lap times, 1/1000 second timing, alarm and time found so far :)

Agree about rcorreale's Frog and noticed that there is one on WUS at a gradually reducing price (http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-casio-g-shock-master-blue-frogman-gw-225c-1jf-631719.html) as the seller can't move it - down to $365 shipped CONUS today, not sure if he will post outside of the US

Gulfman looks good, there was a later one on eBay but it went close to new price.

Today went to a militaria fair at Stoneleigh, Warwickshire to browse and to hand out leaflets about a certain show to be held down on the south coast from June 1st to 4th - have I mentioned it in here at all? :D

So it made sense to wear my Wehrmacht issue G-Shock - Nazi emblem removed to reduce the possibility of offence hence the blank area above the date panel. This is a very rare model, result of a collaboration between Japanese scientists and their German counterparts in late 1944, early 1945. They were issued to various members of Hitler's staff and high ranking military leaders, this particular one is believed to be the property of Martin Bormann (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Bormann) (strangely for early G-Shocks this has no serial on the back plate though it may have been replaced in the past).

It came to me in a rather roundabout way, my great uncle had been in the merchant marine, for some years acting as the captain of a refrigerated ship bringing South American beef to Liverpool in the sixties. On his retirement he took his wife to live in Paraguay where he had made friends in the years plying between Britain and South America. He died in 1981, fortunately before the Falklands conflict, his widow - my great aunt - decided to return to the United Kingdom where she lived near her remaining family near Ormskirk. On her death the watch passed to her daughter (my aunt) in a large bundle of items, all the knick knacks collected over a lifetime. The watch lay neglected in a tea chest full of miscellaneous junk in the back of my aunt's large garage prior to her illness and move to a hospice. As one of the family helping to sort out my aunt's affairs I was shown the watch by my cousin who knew of my interest in such things - and here it is - somewhat tatty and scratched but a very rare watch nonetheless:

Martin Bormann x G-Shock DW-003 - 100% genuine like all G-Shocks on eBay

rutteger
2012-01-30, 10:13
@rcorreale - cheers! Which Gulfman do you have?

@macspite - lol, think your story in more plausible than many on popular auction sites. And the watch is at least pukka ;)

rcorreale
2012-01-30, 18:51
[QUOTE=rutteger;3177]@rcorreale - cheers! Which Gulfman do you have?

This one:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h4/rcorreale/7666f0df.jpg

rutteger
2012-01-30, 19:41
GW-9110 - cool! As fine a watch as the GW-9100 seemed odd to have a gulfman without a tide graph.

69onehundred
2012-01-31, 00:34
Sorry not to continue the triple-eyed monster theme but today was time for one of my beaters.

DW-003TB-7VT 4.17 including post (and paint flecks) from eBay

Spent the morning from 0600 doing my tax return then got stuck in helping a mate move a concrete sectional garage. Got captured at the end of the daylight to help get an old war horse (AEC Matador) turned timber truck into the vehicle compound:

Then back home to put a battery in the watch that came in the post this morning. Didn't have a 2016 to hand so robbed one out of an old module that was hanging around waiting to be built into a project:

CBX-1000 - poor quality due to low light from those bl**dy energy saving bulbs. Note washing up bowl with screwdriver and old battery - I do practice what I preach!

I like that one. It has the look of the old Sony Sports Walkmans about it. :cool: