GPW-1000 - Whoa!!!!!

LUW

G-Shock-GPW-1000-GPS.jpg

ABTW
Atomic and GPS!!!!!!!!
cool.gif

LUW

Like any GPS unit. It just doesn't display coordinates, only uses the satellite's atomic clock to set the time and then beams the signal down to here so that the watch receives it and adjusts itself. No more need to be in reach of a radio tower, or in other words, you'll have atomically correct time anywhere on Earth.

Dude

Whoa...... That's freaking awesome!!!!!
Well, I learnt something new today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LUW

Since Seiko's GPS was so expensive, I'm afraid to even ask how much this will cost
icon_sad.gif

chrisek

Yup, interesting stuff! I would think the drain would be small, I just wonder when it will try to sync, I gotta believe most of the watches will be indoors at midnight.

sent with aloha

LUW

But that's the beauty: the signal is being broadcasted every second! So no need to pull it out on a predetermined time like with Wavceptors. Probably it will have a scheduled "window" to receive the signal, but you can synch it manually whenever you want.

SeanST150

It certainly is an impressive looking watch. But I just can't get on with analog Gs. They never get the lay out right. The other functions as used by the sub dials become redundant every hour when the large minute hand obscures them for ten minutes.

LUW

Being honest, I would prefer if it was all digital (= more practical). However, I think it looks a LOT like the A1000, one of the two best looking Aviators so far.

Gary7

Definitely a beautiful looking Aviator model. I'm also reticent to look up the price. I have to believe it'll be super expensive. Frankly, I find synchronizing nightly is fine, as long as it is available. GPS just for the sake of the time signal is a bit overkill for the functionality, but I can see it making sense for people outside atomic sync range. I'm also curious as to the power consumption. If it's the same or better than monitoring for the atomic radio signal, then I'd be up for GPS sync once the price comes down. Hopefully it can make its way into other watch models, as the atomic sync has done (it used to be expensive and exclusive, now it is commonplace).