DW-6600 and resin beetles

macspite

As work this week is non-existent and I have some time on my hands I thought I would play with my old DW-6600 whilst I wait for a set of decent screwdrivers in the post so that I can install a new battery.

Here it is, self-stealthed through hard use:

photo-18.jpg

Then I noticed a crack, investigated and it started to come apart in my hands ...

photo-14.jpg

Too difficult a jigsaw for me, unfortunately

photo-11.jpg

So this is what I'm left with. The intention, if the bezel had remained intact was to canvass opinion regarding stealthing the watch or restoring it. Decision made by the watch itself - it wants a new bezel, now ordered from those nice people at TikTox. My question is what causes such degradation of the resin - light, seawater or just old age? Or have I got an infestation of resin beetles and need to quarantine the G-Shocks I have just bought?

photo-8.jpg

photo-5.jpg

rutteger

Administrator
Watch looks like it owes you very little!

Seen a few bezels rot like this, notably the DW-5300 bezels. Not sure why, seen various explanations including the atmosphere being too damp, the atmosphere being too dry or simply the particular resin used. I suspect it's the latter perhaps in your case combined with usage.

Crystal still looks pretty clean.

macspite

Seeing that I can get a new bezel for about 12 quid and I believe the watch should fire up with a new battery it would be a shame to throw it away, especially as it seems to be one of the classic G-Shocks

rutteger

Administrator
Seeing that I can get a new bezel for about 12 quid and I believe the watch should fire up with a new battery it would be a shame to throw it away, especially as it seems to be one of the classic G-Shocks

Absolutely, plenty of life left in the DW-6600 yet.