Traveling to the land of Casio

Boomslice

I couldn't find a thread on the topic, but figured I'm not alone in my desire to visit Japan, the land of Casio.

I'm hoping this can serve to pool collective knowledge on places to visit and must see G-Shock locations.

First, it seems the main/featured shops are here: http://g-shock.jp/shop/

Of course there's the obvious trips to Yodobashi Camera and other similar retailers that have quite large G-Shock displays as well.

What I would like to know, is any insight on some second-hand locations where I could maybe go treasure hunting. If anybody has stumbled upon great G Locations, share the wealth!

General feedback on visiting Japan also welcome.

I'll be in Japan for the next three weeks and hope to take some pictures of the various store fronts I visit.

Bubbly Tubs

Sounds cool mate. Never had the chance to go myself but would be very interested to see how they market there G's. Look forward to the pics.

chavo60

I am so jealous! You should be able to score a boat load of G-shocks over there... just careful with the fakes, i bet they are flooding the markets down there.

Please do share the pictures you take.

ps: I sent you a PM, please check your inbox.

thanks

rutteger

Administrator
Enjoy, Japan is a great place to visit :) Is the trip business or pleasure ?

I've visited quite a few times although sadly they were all work trips so any free time was mostly spent doing the more obvious sightseeing. Best place I found for price and variety was Tokyo's Akihabra district which is worth a visit almost in it's own right for the neon and sensory overload. No store in particular to recommend, just have a wander round.

Otherwise have a look in the aforementioned electrical stores like Yodobashi Camera, Tokyu Hands had an OK range (including some collabs and limiteds) and some of the big department stores carry a few (although often they seemed to have more European stuff). Never managed to get to any of the Casio stores or stockists listed in the link on gshock.jp , there was one I half planned to check out in Tokyo but never found - something can be difficult at best to track down!

I've read there are second hand stores where stuff like Gs can be purchased but never managed to find any. Asked on WUS before one or two trips but only really got generic advice. Hope you have more luck than I did :) I did dream of scoring NOS 8200 Frogs for a few Yen but it never quite happened.

Generally ended up in some of the smaller regional airports which seemed to have very little Casio in the duty frees stores, when I did go through Tokyo's Narita still nothing much there.

Price wise at the time nothing represented super value, however my last visit was 08 so not sure how things are currently.

Since you're in the US assume you'll fly direct. If for some reason you go through or via Hong Kong I can throroughly recommend Javy's on Hong Kong Island - easily the best range of Gs I've ever seen in a store.