Resurrection

Backward point

My good friend and fellow TZer Dave (dejjl) kindly offered me an old G-Shock which he felt may be past it's prime, as I may have mentioned that I was hoping to find an old G to see if I could resurrect it.

When it arrived I could see that:

It was working and the crystal was unmarked.

and

It had not had an easy life.

P1000621.jpg

I was able to identify it as a DW-003, and it was indeed in fine electrical fettle. But that was largely the extent of the good news. The strap was a yellow G-Lide velcro, which, once it had been thoroughly soaked in Vanish and sent through the washing machine a couple of times, looked ok. But I'm not really a bright yellow watch strap person, so it was sent to a fellow enthusiast who is.

I turned my attention to cleaning everything up, using an old toothbrush and soapy water.

Then I started to remove the bezel, and it started to crumble. Then it crumbled some more:

P1000626.jpg

Clearly, patience and superglue can only do so much, and I came to terms with the fact that one of the principal attributes of the G-Shock had been compromised by the passage of time. So I went hunting for a new bezel. Which was when I discovered that DW-003's are quite rare. A change of tack was called for. I discovered that the module was the same as a 9052, and I was able to source a bezel for same from the USA via Ebay.

The result is a hybrid of DW-003 and 9052, with a velcro strap, and is now my favourite "beater":

P1000769.jpg

Patience is a virtue, as I discovered while trying to find a replacement bezel. But the end result was worthwhile.

P1010125.jpg

The buttons are further recessed in the 9052 bezel, and as the 003 has square buttons and the 9052's are slightly rectangular, there are gaps. But it's distinctive and has given a new lease of life to a G.

Regards

Ian

rutteger

Administrator
The dreaded resin rot strikes! I too have spent an age with glue trying to re-assemble a bezel, once they go it's over.

Anyhow top job, good to see an old G back in action with a new lease of life :D The crystal looks unmarked!

in7inity

Ressurection

Hi Ian,

Thanks for a brilliant post. Have been looking for dw003 bezel for ages...I followed your post and got myself a dw9052 bezel for my dw003 g-shock. The new bezel seems ok, I tried to briefly put it on...but...how did you get around the raised holes on the sides of the watch after it's been stripped from the old bezel? Did you make holes in the new one? Thanks in advance for a reply!

Regards

Petra

Backward point

Hi Petra.

As far as I can remember I just put the bezel on over the two raised "pips" on the sides of the module. It does mean that the function buttons are slightly more recessed, but they still work fine, so it's never really bothered me. I thought about making holes in the bezel, but decided to leave it alone. Besides, I might be able to find a 003 bezel which hasn't fallen apart one day and restore the watch to its' former glory!

Regards

Ian