Case back Seals

terryjames

I was wondering if any off you have come up with any ideas of sealing your case backs let say after a self battery change etc. I have a couple of old g`s that after removing the case back{four screw type }the rubber seal was broken.Getting original replacements is not all that easy.Be interested to hear your comments and thanks................Terry

macspite

Not (yet!) encountered that problem. Depends on how well you want to seal the watch. You can buy watch "o" rings from somewhere like http://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/4/2/1897.aspx a fiddle around with them, cut and superglue if necessary. But any sealing like that is pretty hit and miss and I wouldn't risk taking it outside on a damp day.

There are silicone instant gasket products for car sealants - see your local auto factor. Bearing in mind that A: this is hypothetical and B: I have never done it nor do I intend to - here is how to do it!

Place a slab of plasticine or similar in a can - a Casio presentation tin is about the right size. Remove module from watch case. Make a mould of the O ring groove by pressing watch case onto the flat plasticine surface. This will give you a negative mould.

Use a fine plaster of paris or similar to cast a positive mould of the watch case groove. Once totally dry and hardened use the instant gasket with the nozzle cut as fine as possible to pipe a line of gasket all the way around the o ring groove of the mould. When fully dry and hardened remove the o ring, trim if necessary

Re-assemble your watch.

Do you reckon that would work, Terry?

PS - get a cheap beater to practice on!

terryjames

Thanks for that.Similar ideas have also been going around in my head.Even thought about a fine bead of silicone straight onto the case back and screwing it straight back.Just thoughts at the Mo but i`m sure to try sooner or later.I`ve got quite a few auto divers that have never had the back removed so i`m not short of swim watches but i would like to think if i`m wearing one of my g`s and want to go in the sea with it everything would be ok.Thanks again.Terry

rutteger

Administrator
@terryjames - not had to replace a huge number of seals but in my limited experience always been able to source one from Casio UK > G-Shock spare parts suppliers . As macspite suggests those which just need a round seal should be even easier to source. Like the idea of silicon, have to be super careful though to prevent it getting on the module / movement. Be interesting to pressure test it afterwards.

@macspite. There is an idea!

On a similar but different note be good to get hold of a pressure tester to check the integrity of the Gs following DIY. Anyone source one?

terryjames

That was something else i was meaning to bring up.I have in the past opened a watch resealed and swam on a regular basis without pressure test and no problems but i suppose you take a risk.cheers............Terry

macspite

On a similar but different note be good to get hold of a pressure tester to check the integrity of the Gs following DIY. Anyone source one?

Bergeon do one, It is limited to 3 atmospheres and costs around £500. Better to strap it to the outside of a submarine going out on exercise in home waters!

I would be very interested to know how a pressure tester works, Anyone got an instruction book?

rutteger

Administrator
Bergeon do one, It is limited to 3 atmospheres and costs around £500. Better to strap it to the outside of a submarine going out on exercise in home waters!

Will the Royal Navy let you do that ;) Know Rolex have done this with prototypes down to some incredible depths, over 10,000m apparently> http://www.escapement.uk.com/articles/rolex-vintage-5513-submariner.html . Should means it's OK to jump off the top board at your local swimming baths with this one on. Pretty sure Seiko also did similar as a publicity stunt (submarine test, not top board).

I would be very interested to know how a pressure tester works, Anyone got an instruction book?

Guess you may have already seen this but here's an interesting link > http://www.hswalsh.com/waterprooftesting.aspx

Sure I've seen testers at more like the £200 or £300 mark, you'd think second hand they'd become more affordable. Maybe I'll stick with the submarine / top board test though.