1. DW-6600 and other G-Shocks in the military?

Hi -

Are most g-shocks worn in the military or by our US troops or is it just a marketing ad thing?
    The military used to wear Rolex back in the days, but do they wear g-shocks the most?

Just asking this, because I once bought a Luminox watch from a military sotre and one of the guys said to me that this watch isnt really military. Just a marketing thing...

Thx.
    Last edited by gshockfreak9999; 2012-03-04 at 19:03.

2. Advertisement Register to remove this advert

I know that UK troops wear them, as do a large amount of Met police officers.

Not every unit gets issued watches, but of the ones I was attached to, it was always Casio or Suunto. Most guys just bought them because it was tough and met dress/appearance regs. I chewed through a handful of Timex ironman watches before I got a G-Shock, and I still have it.

In the U.S. Army we didn't get issued any watches.

Why would they issue Rolex's? wouldn't the cost be more then benefit? my oyster perpetual is delicate and i have already needed pieces fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Why would they issue Rolex's? wouldn't the cost be more then benefit? my oyster perpetual is delicate and i have already needed pieces fixed.
    Back in the day you could get a rolex or a tudor sub for a few hundred dollars. Those were the true tool dive watches, also those were the days before digital watches and cheaper manufacturing processes.

8. DW-6600 and other G-Shocks in the military?

The DW6600 briefly carried an NSN (NATO stock number) for military-issue, but my understanding was that this was only for the convenience of the US Navy, who issued the watch in very small quantities for a limited time.

I believe the Navy kept a bulk as a 'consumable', and were pool-items issued with bulk equipment (such as a dive-kit) with a local identifying number etched on the backplate (example DSG#1) and if they ever became damaged or had a flat-battery, they were just thrown away...

Other than that, I don't think they have ever been "official issue", although they were sold at VERY discounted prices (practically given away!) at NAAFI's and PX's.....

(There is a very interesting thread on this topic on the "watchusseek" forum entitled:

"An uncommon US military Casio G Shock DW6600"

It looks like somebody managed to get their hands on a few 'ex-issue' DW6600's....)
    Last edited by Matt_C; 2014-01-19 at 14:35.
    Using Tapatalk