DW-6600 and other G-Shocks in the military?

gshockfreak9999

Hi -

Are most g-shocks worn in the military or by our US troops or is it just a marketing ad thing?
The military used to wear Rolex back in the days, but do they wear g-shocks the most?

Just asking this, because I once bought a Luminox watch from a military sotre and one of the guys said to me that this watch isnt really military. Just a marketing thing...

Thx.

Deaconxx

Not every unit gets issued watches, but of the ones I was attached to, it was always Casio or Suunto. Most guys just bought them because it was tough and met dress/appearance regs. I chewed through a handful of Timex ironman watches before I got a G-Shock, and I still have it.

wolfy

Why would they issue Rolex's? wouldn't the cost be more then benefit? my oyster perpetual is delicate and i have already needed pieces fixed.

fenderstrat1184

Why would they issue Rolex's? wouldn't the cost be more then benefit? my oyster perpetual is delicate and i have already needed pieces fixed.

Back in the day you could get a rolex or a tudor sub for a few hundred dollars. Those were the true tool dive watches, also those were the days before digital watches and cheaper manufacturing processes.

Matt_C

The DW6600 briefly carried an NSN (NATO stock number) for military-issue, but my understanding was that this was only for the convenience of the US Navy, who issued the watch in very small quantities for a limited time.

I believe the Navy kept a bulk as a 'consumable', and were pool-items issued with bulk equipment (such as a dive-kit) with a local identifying number etched on the backplate (example DSG#1) and if they ever became damaged or had a flat-battery, they were just thrown away...

Other than that, I don't think they have ever been "official issue", although they were sold at VERY discounted prices (practically given away!) at NAAFI's and PX's.....

(There is a very interesting thread on this topic on the "watchusseek" forum entitled:

"An uncommon US military Casio G Shock DW6600"

It looks like somebody managed to get their hands on a few 'ex-issue' DW6600's....)