New Smart Access G-Shock GW-A1000 Aviator

rutteger

Administrator
Couple more images of the RAF x G-Shock GW-A1000 via Japanese tech site mynavi

003l.jpg

004l.jpg

rutteger

Administrator
More info for you, promotional video for the G-Shock GW-A1000 via the Casio Europe You Tube channel. Good section at the end showing smart access in action. Not too sure on the dodgy martix-esque sections though....

[video=youtube;JIySXyanVRo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIySXyanVRo[/video]

stevenbgs1100

I nearly bought an Edifice with the SmartAccess system so to see the same technology in a G model is great. This will be on my wanted list for sure but I dare say the price will be very steep.

k1ngunit

can anyone explain to me, what smart access is, from the video it looks like it just automatically updates the time zone changes??? idk maybe someone can dumb it down for me lol.

stevenbgs1100

Taken from the Edifice EQW-A1000:
The technology "Smart Access": five independently operating motors drive the four hands for hours, minutes and seconds, and the large display screen and the date display at 3 o 'clock position. This technology allows all pointers when switching between various functions quickly and without any delay or failure to move independently.

macspite

/when you change modes on the normal Casio analogs like the GW-3000 the hands move to take up the new position for the new function (stopwatch, timer etc.) like the old film cliches of time passing - the hands rotate as if telling the time vastly speeded up.

Smart access moves each hand independently so each only completes less than a circle of motion to take up new positions rather than as many circuits of the dial as required.

rutteger

Administrator
It won't be cheap!

The G-Shock GW-A1000D-1 will retail at ¥71400 which is around USD$900, GBP£550 or €690 - this is the version with the metal bracelet.
The G-Shock GW-A1000-1 will retail at ¥56700 which is around USD$710, GBP£440 or €550 - this is the vanilla version with a resin band.
The RAF x G-Shock GW-A1000RAF will retail at ¥67200 which is around USD$840, GBP£520 or €650.

All prices from Japanese retail. Normally US retail works out a little less, UK and European retail about on par. Should be cheaper via eBay anyhow.

The video above gives a good overview on Smart Access. Functions can be selected using the large crown.