G-shock watches - what do they say about you?

Just seen this ask men article posted on the G-Shock US facebook page > G-shock watches, what they say about you.. Entertaining read.

Not sure quite where I'd fit. Not a NAVY SEAL, that's for sure.

2. Advertisement Register to remove this advert
    Interesting read but flawed. In another article on the site they ask the question -

"depending on who you are, the G-Shock is either a purist’s take on a “go anywhere” timepiece, or it’s just a piece of fashion."

I don't fall into either category TBH. I like G-Shocks because they make a "non statement" about me instead of a fashion statement.

In the same way as some days I like to walk round in jeans and a T-Shirt because I cannot be bothered what other people think.

"Go anywhere Timepiece?" Yep, just right for the weekly shopping run to Tesco's then

Guess articles of this sort when they attempt to stereotype will always be flawed. Can't say as I really fall into any of those categories. Why G-Shock? Suppose their cool (in an uncool way!), functional, practical and I like the whole Japanese infinite variations.

The other article shows how perceptions differ - I'd rate Timex well below brands like Casio and Seiko.

Brooklyn, New York, United States
    Interesting article, but hardly revealing. The real question is why some people have so many G-Shocks?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Griff View Post
    Interesting article, but hardly revealing. The real question is why some people have so many G-Shocks?
    Tricky one to answer. Why do people collect anything is perhaps the one to ask. G-Shock's are quite collectable I'd say, there's a massive range or styles, designs, colours and editions. They are also relatively cheap (well, compared to Rolex at least).

Mens' (and womens') magazines are IMHO full of marketing twaddle and that's putting it politely. The watches I buy, are selected on my aesthetic tastes, the technology involved, my available funds, the functionality and the intended use I will put them. I don't need a style journo to tell me what is good and what a watch says about me. That would be other peoples' perceptions in any event, and the old adage "You cannot judge a book by the cover is certainly true."

Rant over! :-)