Metal Or Resin?

rutteger

Administrator
Interested as to the general opinion on here, do people prefer metal cased g-shocks or resin cased g-shocks. I know some are metal and resin but let's have no fence sitting here ;)

dkpw

It depends on the model obviously but we're going to get better longevity and case resilience with a metal case. There are of course arguments to say that a resin cased watch would respond to certain types of shock better than metal, but taking the original 10x10x10 design premise, in the real world a G of either kind is going to survive what the owner may not.

Having said that I prefer the heft of a metal case, when I can find or afford them.

rutteger

Administrator
Interesting points dkpw. Have to say i genereally prefer the resin G-Shocks, for no other reason than the fact in my mind that's what a G-Shock should be clothed in. Suppose it's due to the early Gs being generally resin.

Would agree the metal is perhaps more practical on the durability stakes, as numerous crumbled bezels would attest to.

Guess the resin is also generally lighter and more comfortable. So used to wearing a resin G it seems unusual when I wear something like my stainless seiko diver.

Plus I've yet to find a metal G I really like....

rutteger

Administrator
Not a huge number of votes but looks like metal is streets ahead. Interesting because for me at least G-Shock is synomous with resin...

Bubbly Tubs

I only like resin G's metal ones just seem wrong. Not to say I won't own one at some point but for now 40+ G's and all resin

seanobsdot

i like the resin but..... metal is in gulfmans, frogmans, and other g's i think the combo of both makes for a reallly nice watch

rutteger

Administrator
i like the resin but..... metal is in gulfmans, frogmans, and other g's i think the combo of both makes for a reallly nice watch

Good point that most have some metal in, if only buttons and caseback. should've been more specific.

What I meant was either a watch with a resin band and bezel like the classic DW-5200

Img_3577sm.jpg

Or all metal like this MR-G

ebay2007083004.jpg

macspite

But sean is right (I think) when it comes to froggies and the like where a titanium body is barely concealed beneath an off-the-shoulder resin bezel. I would certainly class those as metal resin hybrids. If you consider the bezel as decoration then frogs are definitely metal, just less so than those Gs with metal body and stainless bands :)

rutteger

Administrator
But sean is right (I think) when it comes to froggies and the like where a titanium body is barely concealed beneath an off-the-shoulder resin bezel. I would certainly class those as metal resin hybrids. If you consider the bezel as decoration then frogs are definitely metal, just less so than those Gs with metal body and stainless bands :)

I think I should've thought this through more fully :p What I really meant was the outer finish, i.e. band and bezel. Although things like the Frog do have some exposed metal many (most?) would consider them to be predominately a resin watch (due to resin band and bezel). Should perhaps have put an option in for resin / metal band and bezel (like some MT-G and so on) but wanted a straight either / or vote.