Incoming G-Shock Giez GS-300C-1B

rutteger

Administrator
Picked up this G-Shock Giez GS-300C-1B last week. Was sold as being broken however two new batteries soon brought it back to life. Actually quite taken with this model, clearly a very high end G-Shock from it's day (late 90s) it features a ti screwback and quite a nifty (and complex!) module with twin stopwatch features, same module as used in the master of g revman. This would've retailed at quite a lot more than the Frogs out around 99 although the tables have of course turned now! On to the pics

IMG_3706.jpgIMG_3709.jpg

As you can see the watch shows some patina / wabi. Pretty bad marks to the crystal and case, guess this isn't helped by the bezel which offers far less protection than a regular G.

IMG_3717.jpgIMG_3723.jpg

The GS-300 has a metal / resin combo band as can be seen. Had the cut the band to size, guess I'll not be selling it to anyone with bigger wrists than me now ;) Also has the uber cool ti screwback :)

IMG_3724.jpgIMG_3713.jpg

Couple of close ups. Go through blocks (almost decades) of wearing only digital, then only analogue then back again. Currently more or less only wear digital, having strapped this on realise just how legible a good analogue display can be. Shame Casio haven't put more lume on the hands and dial. Two small points on either hand is it. Think this was addressed in some newer Giez models though.

Here is a link to the watch on Perfect Search > http://product-search.casio.jp/wat/g-shock/watch_detail.php?m=GS-300C-1B&n=753

rutteger

Administrator
How does the bevel give it a dis-advantage?

Not sure if it's a disadvantage as such. The bezel isn't as tall as on most G-shocks so doesn't offer the protection to the crystal, guess this is proven by the fact the crystal on this G is quite scratched.

macspite

Not sure if it's a disadvantage as such. The bezel isn't as tall as on most G-shocks so doesn't offer the protection to the crystal, guess this is proven by the fact the crystal on this G is quite scratched.

Cheap G Shocks seem quite well protected. My new to me MTG which is a relatively expensive G has a shallow bezel with the glass fairly exposed. My Edifice with an RRP of $500 in the States (and £500 in the UK :( ) has no protection for the glass at all, it is flush with the bezel.

And my Marlin, designed as a Seiko-alike dive watch, has a convex crystal that is the first thing that will contact rocks and sharp metal bits on wrecks when diving. My DW-6600, about £40 back in 1998 or so, survived 10 years of diving with no damage to the crystal, just resin beetle infesting the bezel and keeper

rutteger

Administrator
Guess you could probably say the fact the crystals on the Giez, MR-G and some other higher end G-Shocks are exposed is more or less an admission from Casio these are less likely to be used as 'tool' watches that lower end models. Which stands to reason I suppose.

Still not got the stopwatch feature down, quite tricky :p