'Swiss' money for a G-Shock?

rutteger

Administrator
Interested to hear people's opinions on this one. As the G-Shock range becomes more and more advanced the price of the upper echelons is becoming closer and closer to what you might expect top pay for a more established Swiss brand. This of course discounts some of the MR-G line and the odd one off (like the GWF-1000 Basel) which are already well into 4 figures. I'm thinking more of watches in the regular range, like the GWF-1000 and the new upcoming GW-A1000 with Smart Access. Looking at these models I think 'that's cool, would like one' but then looking at the price I'm a little less sure. Sometimes I think part of the appeal of the G-Shocks is their relative affordability. Suppose some parallels can be drawn with the Japanese performance cars, traditionally one might have expected them to be a more affordable alternative to their European counterparts, however given the advance in technology many are comparable (and exceed) the Euro equivalents in both price and performance....

Frenchy

The perception of Casio as a "cheap watch" should be long gone.After all it boasts an in-house movement that lots of high end Swiss don't have.:p

Deaconxx

I agree part of the appeal is the affordability. I mentioned in another post about wanting an atomic/solar frogman, but the prices is gagging me. The new A/S twin sensor mudman is up in the 400$ range too. I LOVE my watches, but dang. If I wanted to spend that, I'd get another Citizen.

That being said, I'll still probably buy them and be broke.

rutteger

Administrator
The perception of Casio as a "cheap watch" should be long gone.After all it boasts an in-house movement that lots of high end Swiss don't have.:p

Were Casio ever percieved as a cheap watch? Good value yes, but personally never felt them to be cheap. Suppose that's a matter of personal opinion.

Good point on the movement, sure many Swiss wearers aren't aware their watch has a fairly ordinary ETA movement ;)

Boomslice

Were Casio ever percieved as a cheap watch?

Cheap is a rather ambiguous word in this case, but as you say, it's apparent that G's are neither a) cheaply built b) cheaply priced. Regardless, these "swiss" fans will look at any digital watch and scoff at pricing over $10, particularly the older generation.

I was once one of those saying how I would never spend $XXX on a G. 20 G's in, I had effectively already done so. At that point, my decision was an easier one. Would I rather have these 4-5 watches, or the GWF-1000RD? The Burning Red Frogman won out, my most expensive G to date, but really cost me 0 "out of pocket," and I feel my collection is that much better... less choices, more awesome = net positive.

Still, you really have to try handling these higher tier G's, there is a discernable differences that may not fully explain the price hike, but at least get you on your way to understanding. End of the day, buy what you want. If you feel a Swiss watch is better for your money, buy that, the only person you have to justify things to is yourself... and your wife.

macspite

This is a gallery of the "50 Best Watches" that appears on the Independent website (The Independent is a UK "quality" newspaper)

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...best-watches-906070.html?action=gallery&ino=1

Looking at the prices of some of these I can only suggest that some of the retailers have very large plate glass windows so that they can see the mugs and the fashionistas coming.

Yes, some Casio prices are high in comparison with their stablemates but given the amount of technology and quality built into the watches they seem quite cheap when compared to some of the dross on the Indy's list.

rutteger

Administrator
less choices, more awesome = net positive.

If you feel a Swiss watch is better for your money, buy that, the only person you have to justify things to is yourself... and your wife.

Two great quotes there.

Value is of course very subjective. The thought had come about looking at the way the cost of the top end models had increased. Think all Gs are very well made which is of course part of the appeal. Have a few which I think (hope?) you would say were higher tier, the older GW-200 Frog, Giez GS-300 and new GW-9300 Mudman and yes, there are discernable differences, one of which is the use of materials regardless of cost. However when I pick up my old school (and affordable at the time) DW-5200 I see the same ethos.

All this aside I will one day pick up something Swiss. No chance of chopping in the G-Shock collection though :p

rutteger

Administrator
This is a gallery of the "50 Best Watches" that appears on the Independent website (The Independent is a UK "quality" newspaper)

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...best-watches-906070.html?action=gallery&ino=1

Looking at the prices of some of these I can only suggest that some of the retailers have very large plate glass windows so that they can see the mugs and the fashionistas coming.

Yes, some Casio prices are high in comparison with their stablemates but given the amount of technology and quality built into the watches they seem quite cheap when compared to some of the dross on the Indy's list.

What a bad article, got to 8 and closed it. What were the Indy thinking! Think most who inhabit watch forums and class themselves as WIS would sniff at many in that list - at least most in this group have timepieces which are genuinely well made, the Indy's list seemed to have a lot of tarted up 'fashion' watches where you're clearly paying for the label.

Frenchy

Were Casio ever percieved as a cheap watch? Good value yes, but personally never felt them to be cheap. Suppose that's a matter of personal opinion.

Good point on the movement, sure many Swiss wearers aren't aware their watch has a fairly ordinary ETA movement ;)
I was thinking of the scene in Planes Trains and Automobiles...........Hotel Clerk: Do you have seventeen dollars and a good watch?
Del: No I don't. I have uh... two dollars... and a Casio.
Hotel Clerk: I'm going to have to say goodnight, so...