'Swiss' money for a G-Shock?

drpbier

Just saw this thread and thought I'd chip in (late). I've owned Tag, Omega and Oris autos costing between £600 and £1500. All lovely looking watches, and the Omega was pretty robust, but none of them could keep time for sh1t. Which to me is rather the point. And then you have the servicing costs. A friend of mine has just sent his Omega Speedmaster to the factory for a service (after about 11 years with no maintenance to be fair) and has been quoted £420.

I do think G-Shocks lack something in out and out beauty compared to the best of Swiss watches, but functionally they're in another league, even if all you want is to tell the time. My new GW-4000D definitely has a brutish appeal and I'm enjoying it very much.

If I could have anything, and money was no object, I'd buy the multiband atomic solar version of the JLC Squadra Reverso. In the meantime I have the best balance of what I want in a watch, on my wrist today.

Andy205

I started collecting as I can't afford a single HNW watch right now (and unlikely to in the foreseeable) and so far 10 G's have set me back less than £350. I therefore have more than a watch for every day of the week should I choose and none are so valuable that I'd be scared to wear it for fear of mugging/sneak theft etc. I've yet to venture into the higher priced G's and a Frogman is probably as pricey as I'd go personally.

I also like them as they're bloody tough (important with kids who have an uncanny ability to break everything it seems).

I don't think I'd pay upper 3 figures and above for ANY watch, G Shock included but as a newcomer who did a bit of research before diving in I reckon they've been accepted as a good watch for years and are arguably more collectable than some Swiss and similar watches.

daveathall

I check the timekeeping of my most expensive Swiss made watch against one of my Atomic G shocks. I don't check the timekeeping of my G shocks against any other watch......I don't need to.

stevenbgs1100

I've always been a bit of a bargain hunter and my first G shock (my Giez model) was chosen ahead of another Casio....the Edifice EQW-A1000DC as it is priced at £600 I thought that was too much. I agree with what has been said above. The G's may not have out and out beauty but you can pick up some real bargains both new and used. My latest order placed yesterday has got me a brand new solar atomic watch for £70. All my G's are synchronised perfectly all being atomic models.
Well happy.