Im a big fan of G-Shocks BUT....

agentzigzag

Why on earth do Casio have such bad product placement and celebrity endorsements?!?

Ive noticed that casio are steering the G-Shock brand away from 'tough rugged dependable watches' to 'must have bling for teenagers' - not only today do I see G-Shock UK on facebook rave about the product placement in a video for possibly the most hideous supergroup I have heard of in my life 'LMFAO' with 'Justin Bieber' and 'Far East Movement'
Who on earth would buy a watch because 'that bloke off LMFAO' had one on that music video?!? Let alone muppet boy Bieber!

I thought they had already reached the pinnacle of s**t marketing when they had Keisha (or Ke$ha if you are that way inclined) pimping their watches along with Pixie Lott and Eminem but they pile on the 'why did they chose them?!?' factor by getting Gucci Mane and Lil Wayne to flog the 'Hundreds' collab.
Gucci man who is just out of a mental facility whose previous career before rapping very badly was a drugs dealer.
Lil Wayne whose career is based on slurring into one of Cher's second hand vocoders (do you beeeelIIIEEEEVVVE in LIFE afTer lOVe' out of his face on 'purple drank' which is basically tixylix.

I love your G-Shocks Mr Casio but PLEASE stop with these crappy product placement celebrity endorsement tactics, the watches are awesome and will sell on their own merits, there is no need for this nonsense!

:afro:

macspite

Could do an advert with some burly bloke or lass on a building site getting all hot, sweaty and muddy, covered with dust or whatever, using vibrating tools, hammers or whatever and at the end of the day having a shower with the work watch still on, changing into going out clothes and still wearing the watch which now complements the leisure wear.

Shows it's tough and classy.

If that was the ad I would buy one :D

chavo60

The advertisement for collaborative g-shocks i understand... but product placement (Eminem, LMFAO) I can do without.

I look forward to seeing a commercial of ODB, Method, RZA, and such rocking a G-shock collabo!

rutteger

Administrator
In a way it's a testament to the G-Shock brand that they can associate themselves with so many individuals, brands, sports and groups and sell watches on the back of this! Would agree though that some of the product placement seems a little divisive. Bieber. Really? Would imagine the marketing going on of Gs in the US, Europe and worldwide is completely divorced from R&D and manufacture in Japan.

I look forward to seeing a commercial of ODB, Method, RZA, and such rocking a G-shock collabo!

Should be an interesting one for sure, hope they do it justice.

TZA

im looking forward to the Wu collabo too, but it wont be with Ol' Dirt. he's been dead for quite some time.

Bubbly Tubs

TZA, I like Your pic, that in my opinion is one of the best tracks designed of late, awesome circuit for both Moto GP and F1

rutteger

Administrator
Here is another one which might divide opinion, spotted on the Baby-G facebook page.

536682_342040279176575_196059453774659_889052_1879007196_n.jpg

I believe these young men are One Direction.

jaydeeohh

It seems to me that Casio is just catering to a segment of the market that they have somehow found themselves a part of, perhaps even unbeknownced to them. The sneaker collectors also tend to be fanatic about watch collection. They have hats, to match the shoes and a watch to match all of it. These product placements seem to to put them more into that group. If you've ever spent any time looking at these sneaker fanatic websites, you know these folks have tons of disposable income that they want to devote to fashion/collection of attire. A watch is a natural part of that as well.

Also, I hate the perception among some young people who think they don't need a watch because they "have a cellphone". I've heard that a lot. So perhaps Casio is also looking to shift the dynamic in a younger generation. Taking the watch from strictly a timepiece, to more of an accessory and fashion statement. As a manufacturer of watches, it is in their best interest to introduce younger people who never wore watches to their product. And as we all know, once you go to G-Shocks, you become a fanatic.

It's almost like the cigarette companies catering to youths back in the 60's. They needed to bring up a new generation of addicts. Anyway, I think of Casio's tactics as self preservation. And if it brings us more watches to choose from in the future, I am OK with it.