World time

stevenbgs1100

When we have a G model with world time, am I correct in thinking that while we are on DST here in the UK, the other World Cities on our watches are not updated with DST when we get a radio controlled update?
I am off on my hols next week and I am looking at the time in Mexico which says they are 6 hours behind us. Playa Del Carmen to be exact.
All my G watches are radio controlled so would the local time be updated correctly on my watch if I set it to MEX and did a manual receive when I was actually there?
Cheers

rutteger

Administrator
Hi, it is also my understanding that DST is only updated one time zone at a time, be it via radio controlled or manual.

Assuming you can get a waveceptor signal in Mexico the time may not be updated if the timezone is set to MEX. You'd have to check the manual but think it will only update the time via waveceptor if the watch is in a known good time zone for radio signal which would probably mean setting it the corresponding timezone in the US. You'd have to check the manual and try it!

stevenbgs1100

The radius circle covers the area of Mexico I'm going to.
Fingers crossed it may pick up a signal.
Just a curiosity really as according to the web Cancun is 5 hrs behind GMT which equates to 6 hrs behind on DST. The 'MEX' setting on all my watches is 7 hours behind.

rutteger

Administrator
Just had a look at the GW-M5600 manual > http://ftp.casio.co.jp/pub/world_manual/wat/en/qw3063.pdf . Think the logic should hold true for any multiband5 or multiband6 watch. You should get a waveceptor radio signal in Mexico as you mention and as such the watch will / should attempt to sync the time if home city is set to MEX. Mexico city and Cancun are in the same timezone and both are on DST currently. The transmitter for North AMerica is in Fort Collins which is also on DST. My understanding is the watch should sync and pick up the correct DST setting. Worst case is you could always set the time off the clock in the hotel bar ;) Enjoy your trip :)