Non paying eBayer

macspite

Not having a brilliant time at the moment. Non-paying bidder on a car and now one on a watch.

0200 this morning a zero feedback (but member for a year) eBayer in the UK hit the buy it now on a watch. He then sent a message saying he would make an offer - had disregarded the best offer button on the listing. Have now had a series of texts on my borrowed phone making derisory offers around half the "bought it now" price.

I have asked him to call or mail, not text as it isn't easy to text while working on a machine or when driving but he continues to text :(

Have sent this mail just before posting this on the forum:

David,

You have been an eBay member for over a year so you hgave plenty of opportunity to discover that a buy it now auction is as it says - you hit the button to buy at the displayed price THEN YOU HAVE TO CONFIRM YOUR PURCHASE so it is not something that happens through an accidental keypress.

You bought a watch at the displayed price of £375. That is a legally binding contract. I am cutting you some slack by suggesting you phone or mail me, text is not a good option as I spend most of my long working day driving.

You are now trying to make offers on the watch. You should have done that via the "make an offer button" on the listing, not after entering into a contract to buy.

What has now happened from my side is that, in addition to the final value fee of £37.50 that eBay will charge, I have also to pay the original insertion fee. So I am over £40 out of pocket whether or not you complete the transaction.

I will open an unpaid item dispute if I do not hear from you within 24 hours - that is at 1800 BST Friday 11th May. That will blacklist you on eBay and it may get me my fee refunded.

Alternative is to pay up - you bought the item at the displayed price - IT DOES NOT GIVE YOU THE RIGHT TO MAKE OFFERS AFTER PURCHASE, ESPECIALLY OFFERS OF HALF THE SELLING PRICE.

Ball is in your court, come up with a sensible alternative and I will respond

Rob

Any further suggestions, apart from taking a baseball bat with me next time I am in Widnes ....

Dazzx

I don't think you can do any more then then that ,
I'd keep a record of all correspondence and well done to you for sending a professional email and not loosing your cool with him that might help.

rutteger

Administrator
Yeah, that's really annoying. All you can do is jump through eBays hoops and they'll waive the final value fee at least. I'd not contact the bloke again, sounds a proper time waster.

Waiting on payment for a few eBay items here including a mobile to Azerbaijan and some cycling shoes to Sri Lanka. Not holding out a lot of hope I'll see money for either :rolleyes:

macspite

Hey, just noticed the little green lights that tell people that you are online. Cool - and subtle :applause:

rutteger

Administrator
Sorry, is that contact as in communicate with or contact as in introduce back of his skull to a length of 2x4 ? :surprise:

Well, both I reckon. This is why eBay should still allow negative feedback for buyers.

Hey, just noticed the little green lights that tell people that you are online. Cool - and subtle :applause:

Can't claim full credit for that one :p

k1ngunit

Sorry man that sucks. :(

I've never bought anything on ebay or sold any thing for that matter. Guess im just scared of situations like this.

Frenchy

Widnes:rolleyes: you should have known better......thats cajun country......seriously I had the misfortune to work there and there is a lot of inbreeding.Hope your job takes you (and bat) nearby.

rutteger

Administrator
Probably more useful to get his eBay name so we can all block him.

Clearly mucking you around, best to ignore and go through eBay (although it does lack the satisfaction of action).