What is Considered "Must Have" or "Staple" in a G-Shock Collection

4Play

To the Admins/Mods... You may want to consider making this a Sticky for future reference.
This if for all new G-Shock owners who need help/assistance with their new collection:

I have been an avid collector since summer 2007. During this time I have collected some of the most coveted watches... Doxa, Omega, Breitling, and Kobold to name a few. I am also a fan of the micro brands... Benarus, Deep Blue, Helson, Zinex/Zixen, I think you get my drift.

Now, I am in unchartered territory of G-Shock, and I am having difficulties trying to put together a nice collection of Gs. This is where all new G-Shockers are in need of assistance on which models you would consider a "must have" or "staple" in a G-Shock collection. Does it really just come down to "buy what you like, and like what you wear?" I understand there will be likes and dislikes to any series or models, and I know this is not rocket science. We are looking for clarity and understanding on the basics of the G-Shock, and how it relates to our collection.

I am not trying to make this harder than what it is, and I hope you understand where I am coming from. This would be a big help that would in some way alleviate the stress, headaches, and ease of wallet without just purchasing something that they will end of flipping days after receiving.

Thanks in advance to those who will be offering assistance.

stevenbgs1100

Does it really just come down to "buy what you like, and like what you wear?"

Exactly this. There is a G-Shock to suit all tastes. My tastes in G-Shocks aren't the wacky colour or Limited Editions (although some I would like if they were Atomic and Solar models) but the ones that feature Radio Controlled time keeping and are solar powered.
I've got my 10th G-Shock watch arriving in the post this week and I only started my collection at the beginning of March. I've always loved watches and almost bought an Edifice model but opted for the Giez (my first) watch.

I'm still eluded by a couple of models on my wanted list. the GW-9300 and the GXW-56.

So in essence, you can't buy a 'wrong' model G-Shock....just get one that appeals to you most.

Hope this is of some help.

Bubbly Tubs

Don't think you can go to far wrong by having at lest one of the masters of G in your collection, be it a Mudman, a Gulfman, a Riseman, and of course a Frogman. I think you have to have what I deem to be the quintisential G a 6900, and then to round it out a 5600. Of course this is just my opinion, hope it helps.

rutteger

Administrator
I think in a way you have answered your own question, the range of G-Shocks is so large and variety so much it is almost impossible to definitively identify must have models.

However sure we all have some must haves, these will always be somewhat personal though. Here are what I consider 'must have' Gs and reckon this would be a good start to any G collection.

• A square screwback. The classic and original G. Ideally a vintage model like a DW-5000, DW-5200 or DW-5600. Coloured variants are out there but sometimes black is best.
  • A DW-6900. Another classic G. Plenty of choice here from a basic vanilla 1V to the rarest of rare collaborations
  • Frogman! The top of the G-Shock food chain and only model to be ISO certified. My preference is for the previous GW-200 model however the new GWF-1000 models look awesome :)
  • A classic Master of G. Plenty to chose from here, things like the DW-9100 Riseman, DW-8400 Mudman, DW-9800 Gulfman and DW-9300 Raysman.
  • A modern Master of G. Again plenty of choice, I'd be looking at something like the GW-9300 Mudman, GW-9200 Riseman or new Gulfman (or Frogman of course).
  • A classic G. Something like a DW-5300, DW-6500, DW-5900 or anything from the late 80s - mid 90s. Plenty of choice and variety. Could also look at something like a G-5500 for the classic look in a modern package.
  • An analog G. Something like an aviator or older screwback Giez would be my starting point.
  • Some limited editions and collaborations. Again plenty of choice here, many of the models above can be bought as limiteds or collabs. Very much a personal thing although I quite covet the 25th anniversary models like the Rising White and collabs such as LRG, Addict and if you really must BAPE :p Plenty of other leftfield collaborations out there too....

So, there you go. Very personal list full of obvious ommisions I'm sure. Be interested to see what other consider essentials. Great idea for a thread :D

k1ngunit

A glimpse at my very modest little collection.

Also sorry for poor image quality. Don't know how to upload as a bigger file.....

Im am a firm believer in buying what you like. Not what other people like. Or what's collectible.
uploadfromtaptalk1339638698156.jpg

4Play

I think some members are misunderstood with this thread. We all know "Buy what you like, like what you wear." However, this thread is meant to give all new G lovers an idea as to where to start and what would be considered a "must have" or "staple" that you would consider to be in everyone's collection. Rutteger's post is the best example as to what he believes should be in a G collection. All of us have been around the forums long enough to see threads, "What Should I Buy," or "What Would You Recommend." The reason for the post is for all new memebrs who are new and have no clue as to what to buy. This would be the perfect sticky for all newcomers to read and get some idea as to how to build their perfect G collection. No two collections will ever be the same, and everyone has different tastes. I do hope that this post will clarify the meaning for this thread.

stevenbgs1100

Lol.
Not meaning to be funny but you have contradicted your first post as it seems you want more specific answers. As per my first reply thread I would stand by what I have said. Other will answer differently as we all have different tastes. It probably helps if you ask something like:
What is your recommended choice of G-Shock and why?
This will then give people the opportunity to explain the details of specific models.
My answer would be the GW-9300. It has a compass, Radio controlled time keeping, solar powered plus all the usual features like a stopwatch, and world time. It also features a carbon fibre stap and in my opinion looks top notch.
I'm still to own one and am on the look out for one.