Help - My Riseman has gone belly up!!!

waveydavey

I've got a G-9200R Riseman and the battery seemed to die recently (even though it's solar powered?) so I fitted a new one and the display is still dead. I did the usual bridging with fine tweezers between the battery and A/C contact, but the module is still dead.

Does anyone out there know if there is some sort of trick to bring the Riseman back to life after a battery change? I've left it on the window sill to get some light, but I can't imagine it's as simple as that...

If I can't get it going, does anyone know where I can buy a new module, or has someone got one for sale? I'm not bothered about all the functions other than time and backlight, so if the sensor part doesn't work I'd still be interested.

Gutted, it's in immaculate condition and is probably my favourite G-Shock :frown-new:

rutteger

Administrator
Bad news.

The battery in my GW-9200 also died a while back but managed to replace it ok. Assume you got the correct rechargable cell? Might be worth trying a regular cell. Take the battery out, clean and try again. Try another AC etc.

waveydavey

I forgot to mention, the battery that came out of the Riseman was a standard 1616, not the recommended rechargeable CTL1616, and it had been working fine since I bought the watch about a year ago (2nd hand though, so I don't know when it was originally fitted, or how old the watch is). I fitted another 1616, thinking it would at least power up the module, but the screen stayed blank. Then I left it on the window sill for a while to see if that would bring it back to life, and when I looked a few hours later it was working, but the "C" was blinking to indicate it needed charging. I reset the time and left it alone, then when I looked later it was blank again.

Next step was to buy a new Panasonic CTL1616 battery (£11.49 each - OUCH!) and I fitted that yesterday, but still no joy. I will leave the watch on my window sill all day today and see what happens, but if it doesn't come back to life I'm out of ideas. I'm convinced the module isn't completely dead because it did work for a while, but I'm not sure if I have missed something, so any suggestions welcome. I am hoping it's just a case of the solar cell being completely flat, and taking a while to get charged up (wishful thinking!)

If anyone has a damaged Riseman with a good module for sale that I could transplant into mine, please let me know. My only other alternative is to buy another complete watch to replace it, but I'd rather repair the one I've got if possible as it's in immaculate cosmetic condition. I know Amazon are selling the multiband version for £117.00 at the moment, so that is an option I guess....

Cheers guys, I'll let you know what happens over the next day or two.

rutteger

Administrator
I'd probably expect it to fire up with the new CTL cell (and regular 1616 cell) straightway. Guess there is nothing to lose leaving it in the sun for a bit.

waveydavey

I asked the same question on another watch forum, and one suggestion was to leave it outside rather than on the window sill. Not something I would have thought to do, but worth a try anyway so I'll leave it in the back garden for a few days and hope for the best!

waveydavey

Well, the plot thickens on this one... Had a look this morning, the watch was sat on the window sill in bright sunlight (at last!), and guess what? The display had come back to life and the battery indicator showed a full charge. Great, I was all excited and reset time/date etc, then gave the watch a good clean up ready to wear today, and.... er.... by the time I'd finished dunking it in a sink full of warm water the display had gone off again! Now it's back on the window sill, and after a few minutes the display has come back to life again, but is showing battery charge at the lowest level with a flashing "C"... Looks like it will be a sunny day today though, so I've put it outside in the back garden on a table facing the sun and hope the extra brightness will somehow give it more juice. I'm hoping it just needs a really good charge up in decent sunlight to recover, rather than the dull, overcast, rainy weather we've had recently. I'll post on here again after I've left it for a few days...

Bleedin' solar powered watches - What a great idea! :cool:

rutteger

Administrator
Doesn't sound good. Got to be worth a try, bought a solar casio phys with a dead battery a while back. Took a week in the UK sunshine to revive it....