Gd100ms-3

Soldier 0f D00M

First of all I'd like to say that I am a "newbie" to the G-Shock scene but that doesn't mean that I haven't heard of their reputation for being durable and well built, it's just that I've personally never bought nor owned a G-Shock.

So I am looking for either an OD Green or Desert Tan watch and I stumbled upon this watch (GD100MS-3) on Amazon for $100.05 and I took a good liking to it, however there was one immediate turn off for me and that was that the watch had "made in china" on it. Now I know that Casio is a Japanese company (which I am fine with) but as far as the watch having "made in china" on it I am concerned if ...

A. It's a genuine G-Shock ...
B. It's going to live up to it's name and to my daily duties ...

So I was just wondering if you guys could possibly help me out here or refer me to another or if not better model ...

stevenbgs1100

Hi,

The watch will be a genuine G-Shock. Lots of G-Shocks are made in China.
The analogue models often say 'Made in China' and 'Japan Movement'.
The GD-100 series are good functioning watches....I know as I hvae owned them and still own one.

If your duties are as a 'Soldier' (taken from your forum username) then yes, the G-Shock will take pretty much all you can throw at it. If I recall correctly, the straps are designed to cope with approx 40kgs of pulling force too.
These watches are seriously tough. They've been tested frozen, boiled (time it took to soft boil an egg), run over, thrown from heights and shot at and the watch survives everything apart from a serious force at short range (eg shot gun etc).
Not to mention the 200m water resistant.

I don't of any other watch that can take all this punishment.

Hope this helps.

terryjames

I think in a lot of cases you will find that made in China or Thialand and so on means mostly assembled using genuine g parts.

Soldier 0f D00M

Yes, my duties are in line with military work.

As far as workmanship on them goes; I've noticed in some pictures that the OD Green seems a little too light or a little too dark I believe it to be different factors such as studio lights, flash, camera exposure, etc. or do they really have a slight tone difference with models or editions?

Secondly are there and "sharp"or jagged seams around the dial or any opening where sand could potentially compromise the watch?

Deaks

I would imagine they are all the same shade buddy given the same model number.
I doubt that sand would get past the seals but if you want total piece of mind then look towards the 9300 mudman. The buttons are harder to press ( slightly) as it has gubbins inside to stop ingress. ( i only found out about the buttons recently.)

stevenbgs1100

There are no sharp or jagged edges on the watch.
The buttons on the GD-100 are shrouded for protection and a pimpled surface for finger grip makes button pressing easy.
Sand will not penetrate the watch innards. The glass is scratch resistant too.
The GD-100MS or the G-9300 are both well up for your needs.

Bubbly Tubs

I agree with the above comments.
Maybe you could check YouTube, always helps me.
But for now how about a pic of a GD100

211f4bf9.jpg

chrisek

I love my ms-3. Here is a picture of mine:

uploadfromtaptalk1353782801359.jpg

The one thing i will warn you of: if this is your first negative display I STRONGLY suggest you see one of the G-Shock negative displays in person. Some people have a very strong reaction to them. Depending on your intended usage, this might be a big deal to you.