Choosing the right G-Shock for my man

ashleybearsoup

Hi,

I am new to the G-Shock world. I stumbled upon it when I realized that I wanted to purchase a watch for my husband. He served in the United States Marine Corps for 7 years and is beginning OCS next month to make a career of it. I thought a nice watch would be a perfect gift to give him once he is an Officer. I did my research and found that the G-Shock series was going to be my best bet. However, now I am stuck as I do not know which watch is the best one for my man without asking him and since this is a surprise gift, I'd rather avoid that.

I would like something super tactical and badass. A watch that will last for years to come and aid in leading AND impressing other Marines. ;) Water resistant is a must. A compass would be cool, a thermometer a plus. Ya di Ya, I want it all.

I was looking at this line, but realized it came with 3 different models as well.
http://www.casiosalesandservice.com/store/G9200BW-1!Casio/Casio+G+Shock+G9200BW+Riseman+Master+of+G

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Feel free to boast about your knowledge of these watches as I know nothing about them.

Bubbly Tubs

I'd go for the 9300 Mudman. It's a good size and packs loadsa features, compass, barometer, thermometer, and all the usual G shock features. It's even available in a wide choice of colours. Defo worth considering.

SDC11020.jpg

rutteger

Administrator
Great question :)

First up assume you'd probably prefer to go with a watch with a resin band and bezel. As such here would be my suggestions

1. GW-9300 as suggested by BT above. Lots of colorways available, has a compass, carbon strap, good EL backlight and will sync time with the atomic clock.

Mudman.jpg

Only downside is that this is a big watch, not sure how desireable that would be in the military.

2. GW-9200 as you've linked. The altimeters on these watches aren't very accurate - only for indication really. The thermometer works OK but you need to take the watch off for 30 mins to get an accurate reading...

GW-9200-1ER.jpg

3. GW-5000. Slightly leftfield choice. Basically a super premium version of the classic G-Shock, come with a variety of strap and dial options

727665d1338836177-gw-5000-1jf-owners-report-here-g_gw_5000_1jfa.jpg

You might also consider something from the aviator ranges like the GW-A1000 pictured below, however reckon these might not be ideal.

650976d1331649848-gw-a1000-officially-announced-raf-watch-img_2321.jpg