G-Shock 30th Anniversary Resist Black Series coming April 2013

rutteger

Administrator
Casio Japan have today announced the latest G-Shock release celebrating the 30th Anniversary of the world's toughest watches. The 'Resist Black' Series follows the 30th Anniversary Initial Blue Series and 30th Anniversary Rising Red Series in commemorating the release of the first G-Shock way back in 1983. The Resist Black Series features three models all of which have been chosen as iconic and significant watches in the history of G-Shock.
  • G-Shock DW-5030C - the original classic
  • G-Shock DW-6930C - the classic round G-Shock shape and one of the most iconic G-Shocks
  • G-Shock GW-5530C - a modern take on the first mud and dust resist model, the DW-5500

G-Shock Resist Black Series.jpg

All three feature black bands and bezels with copper detailing designed to give that vintage feel. The G-Shock DW-5030C also features the 'PROJECT TEAM' Tough logo to the dial. All three models feature the classic 30th Anniversary custom caseback and packaging designed by Mr Eric Haze.

The new G-Shock 30th Anniversary Resist Black Series is dropping in Japan on 19th April 2013, we expect to see a very limited worldwide release.

G-Shock DW-5030C Black Resist.jpg
G-Shock DW-5030C

G-Shock DW-6930C Resist Black.jpg
G-Shock DW-6930C

G-Shock GW-5530C Resist Black.jpg
G-Shock GW-5530C

G-Shock DW-5030C Resist Black detail.jpg
G-Shock DW-5030C - dial detail showing classic DW-5000 inspired brick pattern

G-Shock Resist Black packaging.jpg
G-Shock 30th Anniversary packaging​

chrisek

I can see why a collector needs these in their collection. For myself, I'm still unsure. It may be my first 5500 (learning some hard lessons about resin rot recently so I'm hesitant on the older ones) and might be my first Project Team Tough. We'll see. What do you think Rutteger?

rutteger

Administrator
I can see why a collector needs these in their collection. For myself, I'm still unsure. It may be my first 5500 (learning some hard lessons about resin rot recently so I'm hesitant on the older ones) and might be my first Project Team Tough. We'll see. What do you think Rutteger?

I'm not too sure about this release either. On the one hand I'm liking the fact Casio have made such an obvious nod to their heritage - this certainly seems aimed squarely at the fan boys. On the other hand it's not the most exciting of releases, not up there with the Rising Red imho. Not sure if it's just me but so far would probably say the 25th Anniversary Releases top the 30th....

You going to pick one up? If I happen to be down London or somewhere else with stock sure I might, otherwise not sure.

chrisek

Similar views. And agreed on the vs 25th anniversary. I'm still waiting for a wave that is just "Oh My F* Gawd!".

rutteger

Administrator
Similar views. And agreed on the vs 25th anniversary. I'm still waiting for a wave that is just "Oh My F* Gawd!".

Yeah, I know that. Some strong stuff in the 30th releases so far but kind of expected more given the super strong start with the Rising Red, 30 stars GW-A1000 and Haze. Was hoping for another series with a couple of must haves.

chrisek

If Casio does 5 waves again, they still have not done a single one with all Master of G for the 30th. Yet.

The thing about this black series, if I end up turning into a "collector" (appreciating watches without wearing them) I will wish I had picked these up. Ugh. 10,000 pieces. I have time to figure this out :)

sharkfin

These just look to be classic renditions.

So, any major difference for the GW-5530C to the GW-5525 besides the extra multiband?
Been wanting one of those but should I wait for the upgraded version?

Also, just getting back into G's and digging the 5500's. Whats up with the resin? Are they that bad?

Thanks.
Dave

JayAreGee

I'm not overly fond of this release. Seems lackluster following the Red Rising series. I didn't care much for the Initial Blue series, either. I'm sure something good is in the works. But for me, I'm gunna hardpass on these. They still look great and I appreciate the fact that they're such a throwback to the originals. But just not my style.

chrisek

@sharkfin: not the 5500's in particular, i've just been getting bit by resin rot a lot lately on older watches.

@Jay: agreed on the style of this release.