G-Shock 30th Anniversary Resist Black Series coming April 2013

chrisek

There is a lot of talk about this topic, but the formulation of the resin has also been changing along the way. If you have one you want to keep for 20 years (wearing/using) it would be a good idea to a spare set of resin and don't open the bag until you need them. ;)

chrisek

Ok, sorry for the hijack. This may be one of our last times to purchase a brand new 5500. That's the part i need to think about :cool:

sharkfin

Ok, sorry for the hijack. This may be one of our last times to purchase a brand new 5500. That's the part i need to think about :cool:

Ya, kinda what I was thinking.
I'm late to the game, been trying to track down all these cool old G5500's.
But this latest modern 5500 just makes sense for the long haul.

As for the resins, I'll be searching for some. Any tips/sources for them?

Thanks.
Dave

rutteger

Administrator
Think / hope the issues with resin rot are behind Casio.

Models like the original DW-5500 (not reissued G-5500 / GW-5500) and DW-5300 had big problems with resin rot. A DW-5500 with an intact bezel is a rare item! Be surprised if the current crop of G-5500 models experienced resin rot but of course only time will tell.

As an aside I own a DW-5300, one of the models with resin rot issues. Every time I pick this model out of the draw it appears the bezel has had some kind of reaction with the atmosphere, there is almost a film on it which needs to be wiped off. Of all the models I own this is the only piece of resin on which I see such a reaction, this includes a couple of G-5500.

sharkfin

Ok, interesting stuff.
Thanks for the info.

Dave

Think / hope the issues with resin rot are behind Casio.

Models like the original DW-5500 (not reissued G-5500 / GW-5500) and DW-5300 had big problems with resin rot. A DW-5500 with an intact bezel is a rare item! Be surprised if the current crop of G-5500 models experienced resin rot but of course only time will tell.

As an aside I own a DW-5300, one of the models with resin rot issues. Every time I pick this model out of the draw it appears the bezel has had some kind of reaction with the atmosphere, there is almost a film on it which needs to be wiped off. Of all the models I own this is the only piece of resin on which I see such a reaction, this includes a couple of G-5500.

chrisek

Seiya-san for sure. Probably chino. You could probably email anyone on Rakuten that is a big seller.

Count me in. I've decided on the 5030 and 5530. Haven't formally pre-ordered yet, I'm sure later this week.