The 4th Wave, Carbon!

chrisek

So the 4th Wave of the 30th Anniversary has turned out to be Carbon Fiber themed. The gut feeling on this is "No way! This rocks! It's gonna be awesome!". It has turned out to be extremely eccentric and either you are into it (in which case it is a complete home run) or you are not.

5630 and 6930d.jpg

Casio-G-Shock-GSET-30-1JR.jpg

There have only been 2 previous Carbon G-Shocks, the GW-S5600 (and "b" version of it or negative display), and the Carbon Frog which isn't Carbon. So this is already kind of a "win" for those into carbon.

This is the First Wave ever to have TWO Project Team Toughs! Usually Casio releases 1 every 5 years.

This is the First Wave to include a watch not participating the color scheme (that one is the DW-5030 and is a homage to the other Project Team Toughs and has a 30th anniversary backplate).

This is the First Wave to include a GshockMan.

This is the First Wave where 3 out 4 of the pieces are squares.

These aren't just "Firsts" of the 30th Anniversary, but FIRSTS in G-Shock.

There are plenty of votes/opinions/etc for and against all of these points (maybe not the carbon idea :cool: ) I'm just keeping this more factual.

Released in Japan Market August 2013, International Release included both the GSet-30 (which includes the DW-5030, DW-5030d, and the GShockMan) and the DW-6930d. Within this wave the GW-M5630d was the only Japan only release.

Watch Tanaka has portrayed each of them in Tanaka's usual detail :encouragement:

First the DW-6930d

[video=youtube;id7Rek-WoYA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id7Rek-WoYA[/video]

Then the GSET-30

[video=youtube;O12UT00Grb0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O12UT00Grb0[/video]

And finally the GW-M5630d, which is the only solar and only atomic of the wave.

[video=youtube;_8NGGmoGcxg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8NGGmoGcxg[/video]

Also, the Suggested Retail of the release is in this chart. Actual street/online prices vary of course.

Carbon wave.jpg

rumpleforeskin

let me ask people this:

what kind of message are you sending and want to be sending by wearing these 2 shiny black and glittering gold plastic watches?

chrisek

Just having a little fun rumpleforeskin! One of these is a little "much" for me as well, but some areas of the world absolutely dig it. Having said all that, I have some real life photos! The wave landed today, so now you can get some real lighting.

the 3 boxes.jpg

As already mentioned, 4 watches in 3 boxes.

gwm 30th anniv.jpg

Carbon Fiber

gwm 30 stars.jpg

More of it

gwm carbon band.jpg

And more! The inside of the band is channeled.

channeled band interior.jpg

The GW-M5630D, DW-6930D, and DW-5030D all have similar bands.

The 6930D has a gold screen instead of the Green screen of the other 2 carbons.

6930 face.jpg

In case you couldn't tell on Tanaka's videos, the homage DW-5030 has a chrome/polished screwback. Here it is next to the carbon DW-5030D

gset screwbacks.jpg

Light going down, trying to show everything

Dark Alley.jpg

If you are curious about this wave, I hope this helps. If you have any pic requests or questions, please ask!

rumpleforeskin

there's a few models where the display or writing of the crystal/dial works for me in a gold/yellow. by works i mean..it's not that bad..

but when they move it over to gold mirror and gold plastic other things, i'm like whoooa..hold on there..plastic fake gold?

at least the shiny plastic colors don't pretend to be what they are.... fashion fun for quite a few people.....that shiny gold on the 6900 takes it to another level...it's a level i can't understand.......who wears plastic gold?

chrisek

@rumpleforeskin: thank you, you would be surprised how popular that color combo is in various places. Tbh, the 6930 is a little OTT for me as well. All good, and all I can say is it only matters to one person how it looks :beer:

@TZA: I'm back and forth on that, you would be surprised how light that one is.