Who's going for the Rangeman?

Gary7

LUW said:
I've been waiting for an ABC G-Shock for at least 12 years!
I've been waiting a long time too. What had kept me from buying a Riseman was the lack of a compass (the design lent itself to it--but the functionality eclipsed the 9300 Mudman). I almost bought a Mudman, but frankly I thought they were a bit overpriced for what they delivered. The Rangeman is finally what I've been after. I'd still prefer to have MSLP and altimeter lock, but... they're still not offered in the ProTrek so I don't feel too badly about it.

My preference is on the primary model, with excellent contrast (the background to LCD segments looks almost like e-Ink displays). The green resin version looks sharp, but I'd rather not get a negative display with such an information rich display.

I'm just torn between getting a JDM or USA release. Is the carbon fiber strap much of a difference? Visually it is hidden. So it just begs the question as to whether or not it feels better.

chrisek

Gary, I have a carbon strapped mudman and a resin strapped mudman (both 9300's) and the difference in feel is negligible.

On the 9300's the approx US $100 change in retail price bought you carbon straps AND atomic functionality.

Since the US Rangeman is atomic and has a US $200 difference there HAS to be something besides the straps. Or I can be wrong, as is often the case with Casio :what:

sent with aloha

rutteger

Administrator
Interesting point Chris with regards the strap difference. Only have the carbon strap muddie. Guess the main USP of the carbon is the fact it is trick (plus I suppose might prove tougher).

@Gary - wise choice not going with a neg display if functionality is your main goal...

LUW

Just because I was complaining, I checked this morning and it arrived at my PO
gay.gif
Taxed (
shutup.gif
) of course, but tomorrow morning I'll pick it up.

Gary7

Gary, I have a carbon strapped mudman and a resin strapped mudman (both 9300's) and the difference in feel is negligible.

On the 9300's the approx US $100 change in retail price bought you carbon straps AND atomic functionality.

Since the US Rangeman is atomic and has a US $200 difference there HAS to be something besides the straps. Or I can be wrong, as is often the case with Casio :what:
I hear you, Chris. It's interesting about the carbon fiber, because the GW-S5600 had it and reports were that the carbon fiber was stiffer than resin. Of course in that case, it was "in your face" obvious with the fiber showing through shiny clear resin. It looks like the Rangeman strap is really carbon fiber reinforced resin. So on the one hand, while one could say it's more rugged than the basic resin, who has ever had a problem with their resin snapping from some kind of unexpected force? From what I've seen, the buckle and pins will give way before resin tears or snaps. And there's certainly no outward visual distinction with the Rangeman strap, so... It kind of feels like CASIO tucked in "something a little special" for the domestic market in Japan, but it kind of falls flat on really delivering anything useful or distinctive. Toby's review of the Rangeman over on WUS reports that the resin strap is very comfortable, even more so than the Riseman he owns (and I have a Riseman strap on my Gulfman--it's a really good strap). I was planning for an eventual JDM purchase for the CF reinforced band, but now I'm going to wait for the US release. :very_drunk:

@john -- yeah, definitely makes sense to go with positive for an ABC watch for in the field use. Negative will still work, but when lighting gets dim then it's a bit of a problem.

Arcy

My wife is so wonderful, she has been working in London the last couple of days so she popped into G-Shock West Covent Garden and picked me up a little gift.
IMAG0399_zps440ac967.jpg
[/IMG]

Simonal

Glad they got some more in...they had run out by the time I got there...although it was of little consequence as I had got one from the G-Shock pop up shop in Harrods.

They are also in stock at G-Shock East too.....loving the Rangeman.

Just edited to add a picture

qu8uguda.jpg

LUW

At least for me, the Rangeman has become a water divider. I'm really curious to see what Casio can come up with next to live up to this model.