Making G-Shockzone better - December 2013

rutteger

Administrator
I don't know if this is in effect or even possible, but can the post count only count in the forum and not in the sale sections? If not, the constant "bump" posts will get somebody's post count up pretty fast.

Yes, that would be the best way forward. Sadly this is not possible without a custom modification. Will see how it goes, if needed will look at again.

Hopefully most resellers are under this limit so can be spotted if they bump threads.

rutteger

Administrator
not a bad idea. i sold a few things on here and i have well under 125 posts. ;-)

so does that now exclude me?

For the moment, yes ;)

Not aimed at you specifically clearly, just a way of ensuring genuine forum users rather then resellers have access to the free classifieds. If you're a genuine user (as you clearly are) then it'll be pretty easy to rack up the needed posts.

saru7

hi guys, i wandered over from WUS in a bit of tangent googling and thought id throw in a couple things i noticed in the short time ive spent browsing here.
the auction watch page doesnt work, ive clicked on a bunch of links but didnt get a single "hit", just keeps coming up with "If nothing appears in this section there is nothing on ebay matching your search. Please try again"
i also noticed theres no about section, sure its pretty self explanatory, g shock zone is a zone for g shocks but theres no "mission statement" if you will and nothing that distinguishes it or why it should be chosen over other similar forums (like wus, which is far more extensive) or even anything about the founders. personally i like smaller forums, theres a greater sense of community and less (or at least more control) of the riff raff ;p

last thing is more a personal preference - do repeating threads like wruw really need to be posted daily? even with the endless members of wus being able to scroll back thru a week or months worth is far more easier than having to find the thread for each day to have a browse. forums in general have far more viewing than posting so it just makes sense. minimising these threads also keeps the page from getting diluted and informative posts lost.

thats all i have... for now :p

rutteger

Administrator
@saru7 - welcome aboard, be good to see some of your collection :D

Feedback always welcome so thanks for that.

An about page isn't a bad idea although I'd have to have a think about the mission statement. Not sure as anyone wants any info on me either.

Anyone else seeing issues with auction watch? Seems ok here. What searches are failing?

Quite like the WRUW as other do. Seems to be quite a 'tradtion' on many watch forums and is a good way to keep discussion ticking over.

saru7

@saru7 - welcome aboard, be good to see some of your collection :D

Feedback always welcome so thanks for that.

An about page isn't a bad idea although I'd have to have a think about the mission statement. Not sure as anyone wants any info on me either.

Anyone else seeing issues with auction watch? Seems ok here. What searches are failing?

Quite like the WRUW as other do. Seems to be quite a 'tradtion' on many watch forums and is a good way to keep discussion ticking over.

it doesnt have to be mission statement per se or even a big long winded life story, but being a niche forum it would be a nice welcome for newbies to know theyve come to the right place for their g shock needs. having a little blurb about the creators/owners gives it a personal touch, it also gives you a chance to vocalise your passion and the reasoning behind making another watch forum.

i was at home with my last post where the auction watch wasnt working (win7 ff25 tested at least 10 of the more popular models) but now im at work (win8 ff27) its working. not sure what it is since it was actually saying no results found, not, not displaying the results. still might be something to look into.

wruw - if all your friends jumped of a cliff would you do it too?? lol sorry chanelling my mum with your response there :p seriously tho, youre posting in the wruw for others to view and theres always 10-20 times more views than posts regardless of how many forum members so it makes sense to make it easier viewing instead of searching. in the sense of a "new" forum where theres bunches of wruw threads grouped together it looks kind of like those clubs that make ppl line up outside to make the place look busy even tho theres no one inside! lol
theres some big offenders on wus, in fact it seems like they encourage it! instead of finding the right thread (probably difficult with so many new ones created every day) just make a new one! its not ticking, its fluffing, threads like those are more incremental accumulative than discussion generating and i doubt would change if they were daily or weekly (or monthly).
but of course this is all just my two bits of copper, it really doesnt phase me either way but you did ask :)

ive posted alot to wus recently so i'll hold off rehashing the same content but i will in due time, maybe ill post them in the wruw thread? ;)

chrisek

Saru, glad to have you!

Personally I like the WRUW wearing threads as many members have deep collections and it is fun to see older G's I've never seen before. Obviously I'm biased on the thread ;).

I do have to question the views vs comments as I can't think of any that are 1:1. And it obviously can't swing back the other way. Any ideas what a "good" ratio is? If lurkers read it without posting is that a bad thing?

This is more of a general question for me. In any case, looking forward to your contributions!

sent with aloha

saru7

Saru, glad to have you!

Personally I like the WRUW wearing threads as many members have deep collections and it is fun to see older G's I've never seen before. Obviously I'm biased on the thread ;).

I do have to question the views vs comments as I can't think of any that are 1:1. And it obviously can't swing back the other way. Any ideas what a "good" ratio is? If lurkers read it without posting is that a bad thing?

This is more of a general question for me. In any case, looking forward to your contributions!

sent with aloha
im not saying dont have the thread, just make it less regular to make it easier to find and easier to browse. i love seeing the owners of big collections rotate thru theirs too (even if its purely for WRUW cred) and a less frequent thread will help with that. a daily means youll see those ppl post only once, a weekly or monthly thread youll see the same ppl over a few days and may pick up on things like their personal style/taste or if theyre going thru a certain colour phase. its also easier to find a particular user, "wonder what he wore yesterday? day before?" oh wait, i have to trawl thru countless threads to find the day then hope he posted in it.
this also helps infrequent users which are the ones you want to try to get hooked and to do that is to get them to enjoy browsing enough to see the things they like or want to respond to. the regulars will post/search regardless which brings me to the dynamics of forums in general.

ive been around forums since there were forums (hosting, moderating, posting within an inch of its and my life ;p ), theyre fickle and theres never an easy answer or solution and it really ends up being what kind of works most of the time for most of the ppl and its always a work in progress.
the views and posts will never be even close to 1:1 thanks to google searches, if it has content re: keywords that are commonly searched then its going to get the views. views also get bumped because of the same ppl returning to view the same thread (possibly from diff. locations too eg. work and home).

i liken alot of forums to a primary (elementary) school dance, everyone is standing against the wall and no one wants to go on the dancefloor. the cool kids arent going to dance if they dont like the song, the shy kids or the ones that cant dance dont want to be the center of attention and the new kids dont want to make a fool of themselves in front of ppl they dont know and above all no one wants to get laughed at or into trouble for whatever they do (well most of the time). the moderators (if theyre active) are the teachers/chaperones/parents with a video camera giving the kids a nudge while finger snapping and head bobbling hoping that they can get one of them to at least tap their foot or clap.

in the end what it all comes down to is you cant force ppl to participate, well you can bait and troll ppl which works really well on facebook, but its a one trick pony that ends up being a "boy that cried wolf" scenario. all you can really do is keep playing as many diff songs as possible and hope enough sheepishly come fwd to bust a move :)

..great, now THAT song is in my head..