Gulfmaster

chrisek

Officially the Gulfman is getting replaced.

Enter the Gulfmaster!

taname7y.jpg

It is a triple sensor watch

utaredyn.jpg

With moon phase and tide info!

We still don't know if there is any titanium (one of the trademarks of the Gulfman and Fisherman before that).

It is based on the PRW-6000, and the digital part lights up.

Thanks to Starscream for finding the info.

sent with aloha

chrisek

The outer ring is slammed with numbers and "over" "under". Depending on which function you are in, the pointer will point out how many units under or over the previous value the current reading is.
The baro trend is actually the bottom half of the sub dial in the upper left.

Because it is a v3 triple sensor, all 3 sensors can be metric or imperial units.

On the PRW3000 and Rangeman the if the home city is Tokyo then the units are only metric. We don't know yet if this will be the same or not b

sent with aloha

LUW

down.gif

Not for me. I don't like ana-digis and I basically HATE to read any sort of info on two different formats - and if I understood right what Chris said, that's how you get the readings. Sorry, a G is supposed to be easy to use: glance at it and you have the info you're looking for right there, no need to do mental calculations. It's nice to see another Master of G with the v3 sensor (it is a MoG, right?), but Casio (again) is complicating things in the name of I don't know what.

The Gulfie will be missed
icon_sad.gif

chrisek

The good news is that it is a Master of G, and the build quality is there.

2e7a8aza.jpg

Pics by fantom1981 who always seems to get some crazy live pics way before the time line would suggest feasible.

a4ehy3y8.jpg

yre8a3um.jpg

qe4uty7e.jpg

I wasn't able to zoom in on the caseback to see the material :( but at a glance it does look like the chassis from the current aviators taken up a notch (?).

I've definitely enjoyed older and current Gulfman and Fisherman iterations, and I have to agree I find the styling challenged. These photos do help me appreciate it more.

sent with aloha

LUW

Casio is treading a dangerous path here: they're turning a simple and reliable tool into a gadget. If anyone needed proof that style and fashion is Casio's current #1 priority, there you have it
icon_sad.gif

chrisek

I disagree. I don't see anything fashionable about this watch. :D And that is a difficult to read face. Watches like the GA-110 do a much better job of all that even with a complex face.

I am interested in it as one of the few ever G analog tide watches (analog G-Lide ABC if you will).

sent with aloha

chrisek

Completely unsure. It just seems an awkward watch. Maybe it is fashionable? Definitely not accusing it of looking good. Completely unsure why they went such a different way with this watch. Am I being too biased?

sent with aloha

LUW

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with an ana-digi watch - I don't like the looks of them, that's all. However, that's only true if you're talking about a "normal" time measuring watch, like a chrono. When you get into the ABC realm, analog measuring is just plain silly, if of course, you want something serious. It's not easy to use, it's not precise, so there's absolutely no reason whatsoever to integrate an analog element to the measuring features. If the hands were only used to tell time and all the ABC (AB in this case) were done by the digital display then I wouldn't have a problem with it. Heck, if the compass (in an ABC model) function was handled by the hour and minute hands it would even be great - like with the Tissot T-Touch, which is better then my beloved Ranger in that department.

Assuming Casio's engineer's and designers have the same kind of brain I have, they also can't easily read an analog display when used for AB functions. Ergo, incorporating an analog display had to be a fashion/style decision, not a practical one, even though this setup makes the watch not as good as a tool watch. Or we're not talking about G-Shocks here? And even worse, to add insult to injury, it's a MoG
rollingeyes.gif
!