old Resin Bezel and Straps

Sail0r

People here don't seem to like about straps. ;) j/k

Water & soap seems like a good idea. However be careful: I was at a watch shop the other day and they had posted a sign that they wouldn't be responsible if the watch wasn't water proof anymore after they'd changed its battery unless you paid them extra to make sure. It's kind of ridiculous, I know. But I'm just saying... Better save than sorry. Obviously that shouldn't be a problem if you change your battery yourself.

LUW

"Kind" of ridiculous
rollingeyes.gif
? They should put a sign that says "Bring your watch and we'll rip you off".
A watch repairman who can't guarantee that a modern G Shock he worked on is waterproof after he's done with it should not charge for any kind of service. You don't need to pressure test the watch if you know what you're doing. If you do need to pressure test a modern G after you worked on it you shouldn't even have started to work on it.

LUW

But back on topic:
have seen a lot of old Casio straps an bezels, that they become totally greasy and slipy if the get contact with water or humidy.

-What can this be and why?
-How can I stopped it?
That's the so called "resin rot", that will affect 99.5% of older models. There's no way to avoid it and the only remedy is to get a new set of resin. However, I wouldn't use soap, neutral or not, very often on an old model. Get it clean once and baby it afterwards (use it sparingly). If you frequently use soap to clean it you will accelerate the natural decaying process of the PU resin - the same goes for sun or UV radiation exposure.

Sail0r

"Kind" of ridiculous
rollingeyes.gif
? They should put a sign that says "Bring your watch and we'll rip you off".
A watch repairman who can't guarantee that a modern G Shock he worked on is waterproof after he's done with it should not charge for any kind of service. You don't need to pressure test the watch if you know what you're doing. If you do need to pressure test a modern G after you worked on it you shouldn't even have started to work on it.
It wasn't limited to Gs either. It basically said "If you don't pay as extra to check the insulation rubber we can't guarantee anything". Made me wonder if that was common practice among watch repairman... I guess it's not. Anyway, this one won't see me again. ;)

Notfarout

Just on the cannot guarentee the water resistancy. There is a water pressure testing machine that checks the seals on a watch. Yes you can change the batt and not have it done....SHOULD be ok. If a seal has been pinched or one of the button seals has gone you cannot tell till the (backseal pinched) back has come off or the water gets in by then its prob to late. I have done batteries in watches for many years and have seen some intersting things the pinched seal was an issue that i found last week (not on one I did).
I wear with care after doing the batts in my own watches. There are people that dont worry and just dont worry.....if your prized g-shock got water in it would you be happy????

Notfarout

Not sure how they do it overseas. They will check if they hav the equipment. it might cost a little more. if the watch is being used in the water most of the time its recomended to pressure test every year (Divers should be doing this)(watch should also be washed in fresh water to get salt or chlorine off) for normal wear it should be ok to do when the batt goes flat.....although a 10 year batt or a solar should be tested every couple of years. I have done batts on most type of g shock (even frogman) and had no issue i have just told the customer not to wear it in the water. The seals can be re silicon on the back when done the buttons with the small e clips and 2 o rings and a spring make it a pain to pull it apart to re silicon. I have also seen watches fail after they have had a pressure test.
Cheers

Sail0r

THat all sucks... I'll have the shop change the battery then and explicitely ask them if it'll be waterproof afterwards. Not that I'd go diving anyway but I don't want to worry about it if I wash my hands or if it rains or whatever.