Changing the battery

Sail0r

In another thread a discussion emerged whether or not G's would still be waterproof after changing the battery. The verdict was that they had to be specifically pressure tested in order to make sure.

Now, I've asked two watchmakers if they could guarantee that the watch would be waterproof after changing the battery. Both said no - at least not for swimming/diving with it. The first one said he couldn't do it because the seals (Is that the right word?) aren't available as spare parts (plus he wanted 15 Euros for changing the battery). The second one offered to send it to Casio for a waterproof-guaranteed battery change (35 Euros) or to change it for 10 Euros and use his own "sealing-paste" (or material, whatever you'd call it). He said they never had a problem so far when used normally (no swimming/diving but regular use under water like washing hands etc.) and they also do Polar and a lot of other watches.

I don't plan on going for a swim with the watch but I'm not sure which option to choose. My G is about 15 to 20 years old. Don't know if that may have affected the seals at all

How do you handle this with your Gs?

Notfarout

I was the one talking about the pressure test. There is no waterproof. No one will guarantee this even with a brand new watch.
I suggest you get the watchmaker to silicone the seals this can help repel the water. It should be fine if your not swimming in it. should be ok to get splashed.
I do my own batteries n dont worry about splashing them...I have run water over them to test them (dont recommend you do this).
Just to give you an idea the buttons have 2 seals each and a back seal. the back seal can be checked by the watch maker as you can see it when you open the watch. the buttons is where they can leak.
Hope this helps.

BACKBLAST72

I just chnaged the battery on my oldest G-Shock the G-2110. I've had the watch now for 14 years and I go swimming with it, I've taken showers with it, I've had it summerged in a bucket of water and nothing. I think the trick like everything mechanical you have to pay attention and do the battery exchange carefully. You could probably shop around and find some spare parts. If not call Casio's customer service and they should be able to point you in the right direction. Seasl become dry rotted but it takes them a very long time. I would say if your watch is 20 years old check how plaible the seals are. They should have some bounce to them and the plastic or rubber which ever it may be should return to its original shape or form. Mine were fine I just made sure to lube them with a little bit of petroleum jelly so the plastic would not get dry over time. It's been more than a month now, and I am BRUTAL of that perticualr watch for it is one of my beaters

Sail0r

Well, I guess it's fine then if just let the watchmaker do his thing. After all he is a Casio premium partner and he's been doing it for decades so I guess it should be fine. It just pisses me of a little that there are always some strings attached to everything.. After all I view these watches as a piece of professional equipment and therefore I expect them to work the way they are advertised. But it's the same thing everywhere: There's just a one year guarantee on your car, your computer screen can come with a certain amount of dead pixels, ... stuff like that. :grumpy:

BACKBLAST72

No I hear loud and clear on this. I feel the same way. If I pay good money on something I expected to work as advertised. They learned that the hard way at the Ford dealership I take my truck to get serviced at. I am a customer servive nazi and do hold company accountable for there so called commitment to customers. We all know at the end of the day is all about the good old dollar.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk

chrisek

That is one of the great reasons I try to buy local whenever possible. Including G's. If I ever need help, I don't want to have to to mail and item there and back (especially from the middle of the pacific).

sent with aloha

Sail0r

Yeah, good point. However in the case of the watch I think the local dealer would still brush it off and blame Casio in case it broke under water (if bought at his shop and before any battery changes)...

Maybe I'm sweating though and the water thing isn't a big deal anyway... What I still don't get though: They told me splashing etc. is fine but swimming is not. The water pressure isn't really any different until you go significantly below the surface so what's that about? All these vague expressions, damn... :grumpy:

Matt_C

So far I've replaced the batteries in three of my G-shocks myself (oldest is 14 years old), all without consequence

I make sure I buy as good a battery as I can find (usually take one from the very back of the rack at a supermarket) and I ALWAYS buy a replacement gasket direct from Casio.

I take my time, and give the gasket channel a good clean and lightly smear the gasket in silicone grease prior to assembly.

Usually costs around £15 to £18 all in, and I KNOW the job is done properly. I only swim down to a couple of metres, but never had a problem.

Have a go!

Sail0r

Meanwhile I had it changed by the watchmaker. I suppose it will be fine but paranoid as I am I often catch myself taking extra care not to get the watch wet when washing my hands...