Taking compass bearing with Mudman - Clarification request

PhysEd

Hi Guys,

I am trying to get to grips with my new Mudman and specifically the compass feature. I have a european map (trip to the alps imminent) which has gridlines aligned to north, and have followed the instructions in the booklet to align the map with the North indicator on the watch. What I now want to do is get a bearing to a destination from the map using the watch.

The booklet gives instructions, but they seem a bit ambiguous with regards to whether it's the map which is being turned, the watch that is being turned, or both at the same time.

on pE-50 of the manual it says:

1. Set the map so its northerly indication is aligned with north.... - Ok, got that

2. Set the map so the direction you want to travel on the map is pointed straight in front of you

:confused: Am I turning:

a. The map independently of the watch (i.e. rotating the map in my hand whilst keeping the watch facing the same way)?
b. The map and the watch but staying facing the same direction myself?
c. Myself, the map and the watch?

3. Position the watch so the face is horizontal - ok

4. Press 'c' to take a reading

:confused: Am I taking a reading here or just activating the compass feature ready for step 5 below? I think the latter.

5. Still holding the map in front of you, turn your body until North as indicated by the watch and the northerly direction on the map are aligned
(this will position the map in accordance with your current location, so the bearing to your objective is straight in front of you)

:confused: I'm a bit lost by this point

Apologies if this is a really stupid question, but I haven't done map reading since the boy scouts, and every video online about map reading shows a compass with a rotating bezel :(

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give

:D