Suggestions please

rainy2

Hi,
I am looking to buy a g-shock watch as a gift. I have seen many, however, most have bad reviews on reading the time at night due to the lack of a back light. I would like a watch that either has a back light or can be read without one. Also, black band and face (although color within the face is ok), stopwatch type functions, price range $75-$130.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you.

chrisek

Welcome rainy2! I'll just ask up front: any other features you would like? Does size matter? There are actually a lot in your budget.

rainy2

Welcome rainy2! I'll just ask up front: any other features you would like? Does size matter? There are actually a lot in your budget.

I'd like something with a larger look to it, if that's what you're asking. If you're asking something else, then I'm not quite sure!

As for other features, I'm also not sure. I do want alarm, stopwatch, timer and water resistance and very durable, although that seems to be a part of the brand. I noticed some have solar power but not sure if they are in my price range.

Hope that helps. If there are other features in particular I should consider, please feel free to suggest.

Thank you for your help.

BACKBLAST72

Good evening rainy 2,

First of all I will like to also welcome you to our forum. I don't know what review you have been reading for there is a lot of G-Shocks with very good backlights. However if this is a big concern for you I would definitely recommend the GA-1000-2A.

0216141021a.jpg

This is a picture of mine. The backlight on this watch is awesome and probably the best one on any of the digital / analog combination G-Shocks out there.
Check Amazon they usually have them in stock for some really reasonable price.

If you have any other questions feel free to send me a message.

Attachments

• 0218141240.jpg
    0218141240.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 279

rainy2

Good evening rainy 2,

First of all I will like to also welcome you to our forum. I don't know what review you have been reading for there is a lot of G-Shocks with very good backlights. However if this is a big concern for you I would definitely recommend the GA-1000-2A.

View attachment 9518

This is a picture of mine. The backlight on this watch is awesome and probably the best one on any of the digital / analog combination G-Shocks out there.
Check Amazon they usually have them in stock for some really reasonable price.

If you have any other questions feel free to send me a message.

Thank you both! My concern is just to be able to read the time at night. Some reviews say some styles are hard to read.
I think my preference is the analog/digital combo and mainly black.

Some I like but reviews have made me hesitant are:

GA100-1A4
GA 100RG-1A
GA-110TS-1A4 G-Shock Analog-Digital Display Quartz Grey Watch

Any thoughts are appreciated or other suggestions.

BACKBLAST72

The GA 1000 has the BEST visibility at night from ANY G-Shock out there. The second hand is also iluminated. Jump on google and check out pictures of the backlight on this watch you will like it. The GD120's have a very good dual led light for a digital watch. Stay away from the GA 100 if ilumination is a severe concern for you. I'm a retired Infantry Sergeant and have dealt with many watches in a night environment and believe me when I tell you the GA 1000 is the best ilumination for your buck.

chrisek

Happened to be wearing my GA-1000 tonight.

62ada23a173c051ac47dfbda1660f54c.jpg

I just realized we haven't shown you how this backlight rocks. Here is a picture from Casio.

5c2bd115e2e768b0cabe8f9f8595e521.jpg

Here is a photo from a different site.

96c22ac80a8cf56ccc5586c0b77f734e.jpg

And here is a photo from another enthusiast (private person) over on watch freaks.

0ac149236ed1de390df7506d12e772e0.jpg

Just to say the lighting on this is Neon and is real at the touch of a button.

You also mentioned a couple other analogs. And can give you my opinion of them as well.

The GA-110 is a great looking G. It is also extremely busy, to the point that some people say they cannot see the time quickly even in daylight!

d10d9db48f28a8baaee854ae86786f47.jpg

I think it is all in the coloring myself.

b1c3bdf985111ff56911c13c4e489b31.jpg

Though some do get very busy.

2d53396d059aa69e0e22905285cafd7c.jpg

The GA-100 is much simpler. And easy to read quickly.

290abaa4d21f2976b6737b40efbc534d.jpg

And is also easy to read for a couple hours after lights out.

7dfd4718210efff9aa83ed50f27990ce.jpg

Just don't expect the lume to last 8 hours.

Personally I think you should just get whichever one you like the most. Pure function analog visibility any time day or night? GA-1000. Even the $1,000 Gshock MTG cannot compete.

A G shock that is legible and still visible in pitch dark after a couple of hours? Any of the ones you mentioned. Hope this helps.

rainy2

Done!

Personally I think you should just get whichever one you like the most. Pure function analog visibility any time day or night? GA-1000. Even the $1,000 Gshock MTG cannot compete.

A G shock that is legible and still visible in pitch dark after a couple of hours? Any of the ones you mentioned. Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much! I ended up getting the GA100-1A1. I found it had pretty good reviews. I really like the others I previously mentioned but they seem more stylish vs functional.

I like the GA 1000's but most seemed out of my price range! Perhaps next time.

Just wanted to say thank you for the guidance.