Advice please: Failed repair of DW5600E, I’d rather not throw it away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghopper

Failed repair of DW5600E, I’d rather not throw it away.

New to the forums but needing some advice.

I’m looking for any suggestions from anyone who has been down this road and negotiated it successfully before I just give up on my project (or to advise me that “you just can’t get there from here”.)

I have had a G-Shock DW5600E for a long time (20 years IIRC) and up until recently all it needed was a periodic battery replacement. About a year ago (or it might have been two) it went dead again, and I replaced the battery like usual, but it didn’t come back to life. So I tried another battery with no joy.

Tested both batteries and they were good. Checked for corrosion, etc and no sign of any harm to the watch itself. The circuit board looked clean and good. I figured it was just my bad luck that it died. Time to shop for a new one.

Eventually I decided that I really needed to replace the G-Shock and last fall I started looking. I found this forum as well as some others and through following discussions on refurbishing watches (that would tend to indicate watches people REALLY loved) I saw mention of purchase of replacement circuit boards.

So eventually I found Pacific Parts and ordered what I thought was the replacement circuit board. The old module was the 1545 but PacParts had an entry showing that the 1545 module was superseded by the 3229. I crosschecked their part number (CAS-10445680) for the module and sure enough it showed that the DW5600E-1 V was a valid cross.

So I figure that with the updated module that has the calendar through 2099, $26 delivered was a good deal even though it looks like I could have purchased a replacement watch for about $50. I order the module.

Turns out I was wrong about the board being a drop in replacement…. The plastic carrier back doesn’t fit over the board since some of the discrete devices are in different spots, preventing the housing from being installed over the new board.

The irony is that when I mated the circuit board and the LCD module, it came back to life and I got all excited, only to discover that I can’t get it to fit back in the housing…. Grrr.

So, now it appears I have a module I cannot use and a DW5600E that is still dead. I'm not finding that there is a place to purchase the old board, that they are discontinued by the manufacturer too (and not sure that I want to put the old board with the much more limited calendar.) Frustrated and not sure if there is anything I can do to salvage this, or if my only option is to toss it and go buy a new watch.

I’ll add that I’ve been a long time lover of the G-Shock line, having first wanted one when I saw Roy Scheider wearing one in the movie Blue Thunder. He would ‘test’ either his reaction times (or maybe it was his sanity) with a stopwatch (on his watch) and race out of the parking garage. After I saw the watch, I had to have one! I don’t recall the model, but I did buy one and loved it until it died. Replaced it with the DW5600E.

Anyone have some advice for me?

doughead

As much as I know how much you love it I guess it's time to move on. You have already done your part to revive it but too bad the replacement part couldn't fit. Don't throw it away since it has sentimental value. I have a Gulfman which I loved and served me well over 5 years but it's age is showing (the resin bezel has become garishly grossed and warped out of shape but I still keep it with me (it's working perfectly fine other than its aged look). I could have bought another Gulfman but I went for the Mudman instead. Time to move on I guess.

ghopper

Thanks for the comment!

Without going into the details, it turns out there is a design failure (with respect to materials selection) in that watch. I doubt they expected it to be exposed to as much vibration as it did. Once I noticed the damage, it was an easy repair. Now I just need to figure out what to do with the unneeded 3229 board.

ghopper

ghopper

I never thought I'd be resurrecting one of my OLD threads, but...

I'm cleaning up and this #3229 module has been sitting on my desk for a long time. I hate to toss it. I'd like to offer it for a de minimis amount but I don't seem to have access to the classified forums and I can't think of a better location to sell a repair part.

It's new and unused, never even removed from the original packing. It is the #3229 module used at least in the DW5600E. IIRC there were other watches that used this board. I'm unsure of the differences, but the 3421 board looks to have the same instructions as well. I was surprised to discover that it is now a "restricted" part at Pacific Parts. Make me an offer of what ever you think is fair.

Since it's in original padding, it's more or less ready to go. I'll ship via what ever method the buyer wants (it's your dime after all). Message me to make an offer and arrange shipping and payment.

You can contact me through PM or email me at gf hopper (remove the space, it's one word) at gmail. Sorry for the goofyness but I want to avoid the email address being harvested.

Casio 3229.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.