Strange engraving on case back

Spencer Lee

Just picked up a GS-1150 GIEZ. very nice watch, quite impressed. One thing though, on the caseback, next to the 'Giez' emblem, there is an 'S' engraved or stamped. Now, it could be a previous owner may have done it but I'd imagine they would put more than one letter.

OK, i'll come out with it, do Casio sell off seconds? When I say seconds I mean something that may have failed their quality control for some reason but are still functional and mark these with an 'S'?

Dr_jinG

Could you provide a picture? Would be helpful. I agree that if it were a previous owner, you'd have at least two initials. S could mean that it's a factory second (I have seen similar markings on other electronics - R for refurbished). Will be interesting to hear what the G-urus have to say.

ratman

here you go found it on another forum :encouragement:

S means Sample. Sample watches can be one of two things:

Either it is an early production model intended for exhibitions or demonstration purposes. These are not intended for sale.

The other thing it can mean is that it is an overstock model. If casio have some left overs in their ware house of a recently discontinued Japanese domestic model, they will sometimes stamp them with an S and throw them in as freebies to retailers over the world but mostly in South east Asia, so if a retailer have ordered a box full with watches, they can sometime find a unexpected surprise that they did not order in there. They can then sell it even tough that model was not intended for that market.

Dr_jinG

here you go found it on another forum :encouragement:

S means Sample. Sample watches can be one of two things:

Either it is an early production model intended for exhibitions or demonstration purposes. These are not intended for sale.

The other thing it can mean is that it is an overstock model. If casio have some left overs in their ware house of a recently discontinued Japanese domestic model, they will sometimes stamp them with an S and throw them in as freebies to retailers over the world but mostly in South east Asia, so if a retailer have ordered a box full with watches, they can sometime find a unexpected surprise that they did not order in there. They can then sell it even tough that model was not intended for that market.

Great info, ratman!

And wow! What a gorgeous "sample"! Congrats, Spencer!

Spencer Lee

Thanks for all your help guys. I don't know if this will effect the value of the watch but that is not really an issue; it's a keeper for sure! I had a wish list for a while. I wanted a purely analogue G-Shock that wasn't a huge lump of plastic, was a Tough Solar and Atomic and was also reasonably priced. This ticks all the boxes!

Thanks again guys, very much appreciated!