Making it look like new...

Dr_jinG

I picked up a PRG-40 Protrek at Goodwill for $35. It needs batteries, so I hope it works!

The first thing I've done is use baking soda and a tooth brush to clean the externals, and it really brought back the bracelet! I was afraid that the Ti bracelet was only coated, but now see that that is not the case. Whew!

The bezel needs to be replaced, as does the body, really. Does anyone know where I can get replacements?

Also, the crystal has some light scratches. Does anyone have a good method of reducing/removing those scratches without making the face look terrible?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20150901_164832.jpg
    20150901_164832.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 275
  • 20150901_165637.jpg
    20150901_165637.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 260

dynosaur

I love restoration posts :)

For the resin spare parts, your best bet is pac-part or casio directly.
As for the light scratches, apply toothpaste and wipe with cloth. It takes time. But if the scratches are not very deep, it can be done.

Good luck with the process!

Dr_jinG

Thank you, dynosaur! I've found some parts on eBay (I hadn't even realized that one part of the watch was broken off until I saw the part and figured out where it would go on my watch). Battery is expensive at $22, and that's just the main one! I understand that there are two or three more. Yikes!

I'll try the toothpaste method, but I'm impatient. I just might try toothpaste and a Dremel cotton cup... :)

Dr_jinG

OK, well, I've already managed to bugger up the crystal. I'll be ordering cerium oxide and make sure I do it right... Grr...

I'm considering making screen protectors for all of my watches. I figure that those have saved several of my phones from damage, so why not my watches?

Dr_jinG

So, semi-good update, today:

I started looking for the best price on cerium oxide, and came across an article that said rock tumblers were affecting the price of cerium oxide because it is used for the final polish of stones. I recalled that my son was given one years ago, and we never did finish polishing stones with it. Sure enough, I had powder, so I used the 3rd stage (polish) and 4th stage (final polish) and was able to remove the damage I'd done to the crystal, as well as minimized the scratches there originally. They're not gone completely, as they are pretty deep, but they're not as noticeable.

Batteries are on the way. I watched a video on replacing them, and got alternative battery numbers. When I entered one of the numbers into Amazon, I found a battery five-pack for $4.65. Can't beat that! They are on the way, and should be here within a week. Now to find a good bezel!

Dr_jinG

Thanks for the pac-parts suggestion! Just looked them up and they have a lot of parts for this watch still available, and at VERY reasonable prices! I just need to figure out which parts are the ones I need (i.e., what pac-parts calls them). Going to call them tomorrow to ask for help, then order what I need. Excellent! Thanks, again!

Dr_jinG

It looks like I'm going to need some more help, folks. The color of this watch and the band matches the Ti model of the PRG-40. However, as you can see from the watch back, there is no T in the model number. Did someone do a conversion?

In looking at the spare parts list on Pac-Parts, I'm having a hard time figuring out which parts to order, as I don't know the names of them. The woman at customer service didn't help me much, either, because she kept calling everything a bezel. In the picture I have attached, I'm looking for the parts in yellow (I believe I've identified the broken piece, as noted by the part number and description), but I don't want to buy the wrong color. Could someone help me figure out the parts I need?

20150903_183253.jpg

Thank you!

GrandPop

Great job must be neat to have something as nice as that and think if it wasn't for your effort and care it would probably be on a scrap pile somewhere well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk