G-Shock Wademan DW-9800 restoration

rutteger

Administrator
Picked this up a while back and only just got round to doing a little work on it. Thought I'd post pictures as I went along.

The watch looked used but serviceable when I received it. It was however DOA although the auction indicated it just needed a battery change (pinch of salt etc). First job was to change the DW-9800 Wademan's two batteries.

IMG_2875.jpg

First step was to remove strap and caseback. Solid pins, nice. The caseback screws showed signs of being opened before and weren't in super condition.

IMG_2878.jpg

On getting it apart it didn't look good. Lots of fingerprints over the back of the module and rubber caseback seal thing. Also some of the module plastic was cracked around the battery clips. Oh dear.

IMG_2879.jpg

On on regardless. Old batteries out.

IMG_2881.jpg

Fortunately had the required SR927W / 399 in my spares box.

IMG_2882.jpg

Fitted carefully without touching the module etc.

IMG_2883.jpg

AC done with a staple, this step is often not required. Pretty easy though so why not.

IMG_2885.jpg

Gave the module and caseback a clean with isopropyl to remove the worst of the dirt and corrosion.

IMG_2887.jpg

Used a little silicon grease on the seal.

IMG_2884.jpg

The moment of truth..... it lives. Quite glad to see that. Everything works as best I can tell, alarm, EL, thermometer and best of all compass. The only negative is the display dims slightly when changing modes etc. Seen this before which has been duff batteries, guess I can probably rule this out since their new. Pulled it apart again and cleaned everything again and ensured everything seated, still the same. Hey ho, at least it works!

IMG_2888.jpg

Pulled the bezel off ready for a good clean. Which will be the next posting :D

rutteger

Administrator
Next step is the cleaning. Pop the band, bezel and module in a sink of hot soapy water.

P1000808.jpg

P1000809.jpg
P1000810.jpg
Give it a good clean with a toothbrush and cotton bud. Lots of dirt to shift!

P1000811.jpg

Leave it all out to try. Next step, painting :)

rutteger

Administrator
The next step is repainting the lettering. It's perhaps easier than it seems.

In this case the lettering to touch in is white. Casio actually seem to use a slightly off white colour but plain white is more straightforward. Following trying myself and reccomendation elsewhere I use Humbrol enamal model paint (think testors is the equivalent in the US / Canada) and a small model brush.

P1000812.jpg

Prior to painting it's worth giving the areas to be painted a clean with isopropyl alcohol or similar to ensure the surface is really clean.

Next to paint. Simply paint over the lettering to be touched in.

P1000813.jpg

P1000814.jpg

Don't worry if it's not so neat, unless you've a super steady hand you'll not be able to keep it in the letters :)

Let it dry for an hour or two.

P1000816.jpg

Then give it a wipe down. Again I used a cloth soaked in isopropyl.

You may need to do a couple of coats to ensure good coverage.

P1000822.jpg

P1000819.jpg

Results after one coat. As you can see coverage isn't perfect so applied a second coat below.

P1000820.jpg

Pics to follow of complete item tomorrow :)

macspite

Hurry up! It's like watching paint dry ... :)

We seem to be getting a fair selection of "how to" threads. Worthwhile putting them in a separate section to make them easier to find?

rutteger

Administrator
After a second coat of paint on the 'wademan' text all that remains was to reassemble the watch.

IMG_2896.jpg
IMG_2902.jpg
IMG_2899.jpg
IMG_2900.jpg
IMG_2904.jpg
IMG_2905.jpg
IMG_2907.jpg

And finally the wrist shot.

IMG_2912.jpg

Happy enough with the final result. The main issue is the LCD isn't too clever, think the module must be on the way out. Suppose I could strip it down and give it a clean but I prefer to leave the sensor modules well alone (fropm bitter expereince !). Also where I've touched the text in the paint has stuck in some markings on the bezel. Overall however reckon it looks OK.

Now to collect the other four 'Men In Navy / Khaki' models :D

rutteger

Administrator
Not picked the Wademan up for a little while, pulled it out the watch draw today to see this

IMG_20111227_112401.jpg

Arse. Fingers crossed it's a duff battery although i'm pretty sure I installed new ones :(

macspite

Here's hoping. Fingers crossed on your behalf.

I have been thinking about the "paint in the text, wipe it off technique" as it is the next thing on my list of mods to try. Which solvents are safe with resin?

rutteger

Administrator
If you've done the polarising mod painting some letters will be a breeze. I use isopropyl alcohol to remove the paint. Seems safe enough, used it on plenty of bezels over the years - I'm sure now someone will advise how bad it is ;). Currently use some 99.9% pure stuff from here but have used the stuff from the chemist too.